Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Video. Teargas fired as protests erupt over rising fuel prices in Kenya

May 19, 2026

Belarus stages nuclear drills with Russia as Kyiv warns of new offensive

May 19, 2026

Lebanese president vows to ‘do the impossible’ to end war with Israel as strikes continue despite ceasefire

May 19, 2026

Video. Aerial footage captures police surrounding San Diego Islamic center after shooting reports

May 19, 2026

European prosecutors probe €11M cost of Greece’s migrant camps – POLITICO

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Culture
Culture

Save Our Sites: UNESCO warns ‘priceless’ Iranian heritage is being destroyed by war

By staffApril 2, 20263 Mins Read
Save Our Sites: UNESCO warns ‘priceless’ Iranian heritage is being destroyed by war
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on 25/03/2026 – 17:27 GMT+1•Updated
02/04/2026 – 13:05 GMT+2

The United Nations cultural agency, UNESCO, has issued a fresh warning over the fate of heritage sites in Iran amid the ongoing US-Israeli war.

A recent meeting between UNESCO and Lebanon’s Directorate General of Antiquities discussed “immediate measures to strengthen the protection of vulnerable cultural properties across the country,” UNESCO said in a statement.

Last week, UNESCO confirmed that “several sites of cultural significance” in the region have been reported as impacted and damaged in the war. They renewed their call for maximum restraint to spare the “social foundation of societies” and reiterated the obligation of parties to respect international law.

Iran is home to 29 UNESCO-listed sites.

Among those damage are Tehran’s Golestan Palace, the Chehel Sotoun Palace in Isfahan, the Masjed-e Jame mosque in the same city, and the prehistoric sites of the Khorramabad Valley.

The head of Tehran city council’s heritage committee, Ahmad Alavi, said last week that airstrikes had damaged at least 120 culturally or historically significant sites across the country since the start of the war.

He named Tehran’s Marble Palace, Teymourtash house and the Saadabad Palace complex, one of the most-visited tourist sites of the capital.

Here are some of the key sites damaged by the escalating war.

Golestan Palace, Tehran, Iran

Debris from a US-Israeli airstrike on Tehran damaged the Golestan Palace. The Qajar-era palace’s mirrored ceilings, windows, and archways were impacted early last month, according to AP.

The damage triggered concern from UNESCO, which said it communicated the geographical coordinates of the World Heritage sites and sites of national significance to avoid harming them in the conflict.

Chehel Sotoun Palace, Isfahan, Iran

Strikes carried on the city of Isfahan targeting the governor’s building damaged the interior of the Chehel Sotoun Palace, which is in close proximity to the building. The 17th-century pavilion is part of the Persian Garden.

This came just a week after the Golestan Palace sustained damage.

Ali Qapu Palace, Isfahan, Iran

The Ali Qapu palace in Isfahan, due to its proximity to the governor’s building, also suffered as a result of strikes on the city. Damage to the interior, including the intricate tilework, has been reported.

Masjed-e Jameh, Isfahan, Iran

Shock waves from the strikes on Isfahan reportedly damaged the Masjed-e Jameh (Jameh Mosque), the oldest Friday mosque in Iran.

Tyre, Lebanon

The World Heritage site town of Tyre in southern Lebanon, once a Phoenician city, has been endangered by Israeli strikes in Lebanon. Parts of the site have been reported as damaged, according to a recent statement by UNESCO.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Javier Bardem attacks Trump, Putin and Netanyahu for ‘toxic behaviour’

Pop watch mania: Swatch appeals for calm as clamour continues for its ‘Royal Pop’

In the money: How much will Shakira receive after winning battle against Spain’s tax authorities?

Baby Yoda, pop shrines and Rivals: What to see, do or hear this week in Europe

Noam Bettan thanks supporters after controversial Eurovision second place

Les Invalides: 350 years of service to wounded soldiers and victims of war

Live – Eurovision 2026: Bulgaria wins as nail-biting final sees Israel finish second

Live – Eurovision 2026: Follow our coverage of the world’s greatest song contest

Baby dolls, whale songs and swimming in urine: The Venice Biennale’s must-see national pavilions

Editors Picks

Belarus stages nuclear drills with Russia as Kyiv warns of new offensive

May 19, 2026

Lebanese president vows to ‘do the impossible’ to end war with Israel as strikes continue despite ceasefire

May 19, 2026

Video. Aerial footage captures police surrounding San Diego Islamic center after shooting reports

May 19, 2026

European prosecutors probe €11M cost of Greece’s migrant camps – POLITICO

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Trump: I called off attack on Iran planned for Tuesday

May 18, 2026

Ireland’s president ‘proud’ of sister detained by Israel en route to Gaza – POLITICO

May 18, 2026

‘No society is immune’ to housing crisis, UN chief warns at World Urban Forum in Baku

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.