Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Who is Raúl Castro: the man who inherited the revolution and still shapes Cuba under pressure

May 21, 2026

EU cuts growth forecasts as Middle East war drags on – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Latvia issues warning to residents after detecting unmanned aerial vehicle in its airspace

May 21, 2026

Video. Jeanette revives cult film anthem “Por qué te vas” in Cannes event

May 21, 2026

Michael Bay to direct Iran movie about Donald Trump’s Operation Epic Fury

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

By staffFebruary 22, 20264 Mins Read
Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By&nbspEuronews&nbspwith&nbspAP

Published on
22/02/2026 – 9:29 GMT+1

Amid reports of renewed protests in Iran, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that his country would not give in to international pressure as nuclear talks with the United States are ongoing.

During a speech broadcast live on state TV, Pezeshkian said, “World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us.”

Meanwhile, local and diaspora media reported renewed anti-government student protests in Tehran over the thousands killed during the January clashes, as well as other groups showing support for the government.

Videos geolocated by AFP at Tehran’s top engineering university show people chanting “bi sharaf”, or “disgraceful” in Farsi, and fights breaking out. Persian-language TV channel Iran International, which is based in London, also reported on protests at Sharif University of Technology, also located in the capital.

Iranians repeated protest slogans this week to mark 40 days since the deaths of thousands of people, in line with Shiite mourning tradition, after demonstrations peaked on 8 and 9 January.

Local outlet Fars reported that a planned “silent and peaceful sit-in” by students to remember the dead was disrupted when some began chanting slogans including “death to the dictator”, a reference to Iran’s supreme leader, Ali Khamenei.

A video published by Fars showed one group chanting and waving Iranian flags facing another crowd wearing masks, who were being held back by men in suits. Both sides appeared to be holding memorial photographs.

The unrest began in December after months of financial hardship, before escalating into mass anti-government protests. Security forces crushed the demonstrations in a violent crackdown that rights groups say killed thousands.

Iran’s clerical authorities admit more than 3,000 people were killed, but blame the violence on “terrorist acts” allegedly driven by the country’s enemies.

However, US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency says that more than 7,000 people were killed in the crackdown, most of them protesters, though the true figure may be much higher.

On Friday, US President Donald Trump said that 32,000 people had been killed during the recent protests without providing a source.

Following Trump’s comments, on Saturday Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi called on social media X for “anyone” who “disputes the accuracy of our data, please share any evidence”.

Growing tension in the region

The protests come as Iran faces growing pressure to reach a deal on its nuclear programme with the United States, which has deployed forces within striking distance and is mounting its presence in the Middle-East.

US President Donald Trump had already threatened military action against Tehran during the protests over the security forces’ crackdown.

Reuters reported that US military aircraft were spotted at Lajes Air Base, and US officials said that strikes on Iran could target individual leaders. The aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford was also spotted passing by the Strait of Gibraltar on Friday.

Live flight tracker Flightradar24 also reported that Bulgaria’s Sofia airport will be closed for a few hours on Monday and Tuesday, with only military planes allowed. Local media note that this temporary closure coincides with the presence of US military aircraft at the airport and the nearby airbase.

Bulgaria’s Ministry of Defence said the aircraft belong to the US Air Force and that their deployment is part of NATO’s enhanced vigilance activities.

Sweden, Serbia and Australia have urged their citizens to leave Iran and avoid travelling to the country.

In a statement released overnight into Saturday, Serbia’s foreign ministry said, “Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period.”

On Friday, Trump said he was “considering” a limited military strike on Iran during a White House briefing if negotiations were unsuccessful.

Video editor • Lucy Davalou

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Who is Raúl Castro: the man who inherited the revolution and still shapes Cuba under pressure

Video. Jeanette revives cult film anthem “Por qué te vas” in Cannes event

Video. Bangladesh: Albino buffalo nicknamed “Donald Trump” becomes unlikely star attraction

Video. Israeli security minister Ben Gvir releases footage of detained flotilla activists

EU pays Egypt billions to manage migration — Cairo says it is not enough

Australian court fines Musk’s X close to €400,000 for not disclosing data to online safety watchdog

Hamas to blame for lack of progress on phase two of ceasefire, Board of Peace report says

No country has ever developed without urbanising, World Bank economist tells Euronews at Baku forum

Video. Activists use giant Tedros and Bill Gates balloons at World Health Organization protest

Editors Picks

EU cuts growth forecasts as Middle East war drags on – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Latvia issues warning to residents after detecting unmanned aerial vehicle in its airspace

May 21, 2026

Video. Jeanette revives cult film anthem “Por qué te vas” in Cannes event

May 21, 2026

Michael Bay to direct Iran movie about Donald Trump’s Operation Epic Fury

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Gonorrhea and syphilis cases hit record highs in Europe – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Paris nursery abuse probe expands as 16 staff held over extended custody

May 21, 2026

Video. Bangladesh: Albino buffalo nicknamed “Donald Trump” becomes unlikely star attraction

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.