Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Hungary opens sluice and sinks barges to protect nuclear plant as Danube levels fall

August 18, 2026

Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

August 18, 2026

This stunning new retreat focusing on wellness, music and gastronomy just opened in Ibiza

August 18, 2026

Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

August 18, 2026

The Lib Dem dilemma: Cozy up to Burnham or strike out alone?

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

By staffAugust 18, 20262 Mins Read
Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
18/08/2026 – 6:47 GMT+2

A US judge on Monday blocked plans to move the FBI’s headquarters to a federal office building in Washington, finding that President Donald Trump’s administration illegally tossed out a previously approved plan to build a new facility nearby in Maryland.

The ruling is the latest development in a years-long battle over where to house the main office for the nation’s premier law enforcement agency.

A site in Greenbelt, Maryland, was selected during former President Joe Biden’s tenure, but Trump appointees sought to reverse that decision last year in favour of repurposing the Ronald Reagan Building, a federal office complex a few blocks from the FBI’s existing headquarters.

US District Judge Theodore D. Chuang, an appointee of President Barack Obama, ruled that the move was “not in accordance with law,” and blocked the Trump administration from moving the FBI to the Reagan building, renovating it for the FBI or repurposing funds.

“This is not the first time courts have tried to undermine the administration in its goal to make government more cost-effective for American taxpayers,” the FBI said in a statement.

“The court has chosen to impermissibly intervene for political reasons. This FBI is mission focused and will continue the best course of action to meet the needs of law enforcement.” The suit was brought by the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County.

“Maryland and Prince George’s County committed more than a decade of work to earn the FBI headquarters and pledged hundreds of millions of dollars,” Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown, a Democrat, said in a statement.

“By blocking the Trump Administration’s unlawful attempt to move the FBI to the Reagan Building and divert the funds Congress set aside for this project, the Court has cleared the path back to Greenbelt.”

Maryland Governor Wes Moore, also a Democrat, said, “Now it is time to stop the games and get to work building the world-class FBI headquarters that our public servants deserve, where it belongs: in Prince George’s County, Maryland.”

The FBI’s current Pennsylvania Avenue headquarters, the J. Edgar Hoover Building, was dedicated in 1975. Proponents of moving the headquarters have said the brutalist-style building, where nets surround the facility to protect pedestrians from falling debris, has fallen into disrepair.

The Maryland location was selected over nearby Virginia following an intense competition between the two states.

Additional sources • AP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

Video. Dogs receive holy water blessing in Bolivia ceremony

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s request to overturn sex assault judgement

Video. Tokyo festival turns streets into a giant water fight

Yemen risks return to ‘full-scale conflict’ if Houthi strikes continue, UN rights chief warns

Venezuela seeks return of 31 tonnes of gold worth €4bn from Bank of England

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it impedes US-Iran Strait of Hormuz talks

From being single to soaring costs and war: Why Iranian women are freezing their eggs

Video. Unexpected passengers: Two goats surprise passengers by boarding a bus

Editors Picks

Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

August 18, 2026

This stunning new retreat focusing on wellness, music and gastronomy just opened in Ibiza

August 18, 2026

Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

August 18, 2026

The Lib Dem dilemma: Cozy up to Burnham or strike out alone?

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Der Preis von Europas China-Abhängigkeit – mit Janka Oertel – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Greece sabotages its own plans to reverse the brain drain of scientists – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.