Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

What Nvidia’s $500 billion Wall Street deal signals about the AI boom

August 17, 2026

Japan dominates the world’s best cities for digital nomads, while Spain makes an impact

August 17, 2026

Britain’s Reform UK party pledges to strip all foreign nationals of benefits, including EU citizens

August 17, 2026

Yemen risks return to ‘full-scale conflict’ if Houthi strikes continue, UN rights chief warns

August 17, 2026

Ukraine has hit seven of Russian online retailer Wildberries’ 10 biggest warehouses, military says

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Yemen risks return to ‘full-scale conflict’ if Houthi strikes continue, UN rights chief warns

By staffAugust 17, 20262 Mins Read
Yemen risks return to ‘full-scale conflict’ if Houthi strikes continue, UN rights chief warns
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
17/08/2026 – 14:56 GMT+2

The UN human rights chief voiced alarm at the rising civilian toll of escalating hostilities in Yemen on Monday, urging efforts to avoid plunging the country back into full-scale war.

Yemen, which has been embroiled in more than a decade of civil conflict, became the latest country to be dragged into the Iran war last month as the Tehran-backed Houthi group upended a 2022 truce with the Saudi-backed government, ramping up attacks on areas it holds.

The latest violence has raised the spectre of a return to war in the Arabian Peninsula’s poorest country.

“I call on all parties to de-escalate tensions and spare the Yemeni people from further misery. The Yemeni people have already suffered way too much from the devastating legacy of years of conflict, displacement and humanitarian crisis,” Volker Türk said.

“I urge all parties to halt immediately any actions that risk returning Yemen to full-scale conflict.”

Earlier this month, the Houthi rebels launched their deadliest attacks in years, killing 58 government troops, according to a military source, mainly in the oil-rich Marib province.

Two civilians were killed in Houthi shelling on residential areas and displacement camps in Marib that same day.

The UN rights office said at least seven civilians had been killed and 10 others wounded in Houthi attacks on government-controlled areas since 6 August, while two civilians had been reported injured in Houthi-held areas in late July.

Houthi missile and drone attacks on the port of Mokha on the Red Sea on 9 August killed three port workers and injured four others, it said.

Another attack by the group on a cargo ship in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait on 11 August reportedly killed four crew members, three Pakistanis and one Indonesian, and injured several others, it added.

The rights office highlighted that multiple civilian sites had also been hit in the attacks, including fuel storage facilities and a residential compound at the Saudi Field Hospital in Mokha.

“Attacks on civilian infrastructure risk further deepening civilian suffering at a time when at least 18 million Yemenis are already food insecure,” Türk said.

“These attacks must end immediately.”

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Venezuela seeks return of 31 tonnes of gold worth €4bn from Bank of England

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it impedes US-Iran Strait of Hormuz talks

From being single to soaring costs and war: Why Iranian women are freezing their eggs

Video. Unexpected passengers: Two goats surprise passengers by boarding a bus

Ben-Gvir calls for killing of ’30 to 40′ Palestinians in Gaza nightly in taped interview with former hostage

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 17th, 2026 – Morning

Thousands in Indonesia await aid after quake kills 53, overshadowing Independence Day

Trump orders Pentagon to ‘scale back’ military drills with South Korea citing good relations with Kim Jong Un

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 16th, 2026 – Evening

Editors Picks

Japan dominates the world’s best cities for digital nomads, while Spain makes an impact

August 17, 2026

Britain’s Reform UK party pledges to strip all foreign nationals of benefits, including EU citizens

August 17, 2026

Yemen risks return to ‘full-scale conflict’ if Houthi strikes continue, UN rights chief warns

August 17, 2026

Ukraine has hit seven of Russian online retailer Wildberries’ 10 biggest warehouses, military says

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Venezuela seeks return of 31 tonnes of gold worth €4bn from Bank of England

August 17, 2026

The ‘geoid’: Why NASA’s gravity model makes Earth look like a potato

August 17, 2026

Russia cancels major Red Square military jamboree amid drone attacks – POLITICO

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.