Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says

August 18, 2026

Virgin threatens Eurostar’s London-Brussels monopoly with Eurotunnel route approval – POLITICO

August 17, 2026

Three killed after private helicopter crashes on Greek island of Sifnos

August 17, 2026

The island, the letters, the loos

August 17, 2026

Mount Etna lightning strike kills hiker from the US

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says

By staffAugust 18, 20262 Mins Read
Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
17/08/2026 – 20:42 GMT+2

The King of Norway, Harald V, has been admitted to hospital and placed on sick leave for two weeks, with Crown Prince Haakon taking over as regent in the meantime, according to a statement from the royal palace.

It said the monarch, 89, has been battling haemolytic anaemia, a blood disorder characterised by the premature destruction of red blood cells.

“In recent weeks, the King has been treated with cortisone,” the palace’s statement reads. “This has led to fluid retention in the body, which requires hospital treatment.”

Harald has been King of Norway since 17 January 1991, following the death of his father, King Olav. Harald married his wife, Queen Sonja, in 1968.

The Norwegian royals have been dealing with a number of health problems in recent months, with Princess Astrid, Harald’s sister, admitted to hospital in May with heart failure.

Queen Sonja was also hospitalised in May with heart problems, while Crown Princess Mette-Marit underwent a successful lung transplant in June. Mette-Marit had been diagnosed in 2018 with a rare form of pulmonary fibrosis, a condition that causes lung scarring and difficulty breathing. She was discharged from hospital in mid-July but is not expected to be involved in any official engagements over the next six months as she recovers.

The family has also had to face the arrest and sentencing of Mette-Marit’s son, Marius Borg Høiby.

Høiby was sentenced to four years in prison in June on two counts of rape and other offences.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Three killed after private helicopter crashes on Greek island of Sifnos

Mount Etna lightning strike kills hiker from the US

Britain’s Reform UK party pledges to strip all foreign nationals of benefits, including EU citizens

Ukraine has hit seven of Russian online retailer Wildberries’ 10 biggest warehouses, military says

Three dead, including pregnant woman and child, in southern Spain shooting

Europe wildfires: German border town partially evacuated but France blaze stabilised

Can the EU stop smoking by taxing cigarettes? Take our poll

Europe continues to battle wildfires as Belgium sees biggest blaze in recorded history

Deceased Cambridge academic Jason Arday’s family decries ‘campaign of harassment’ against him

Editors Picks

Virgin threatens Eurostar’s London-Brussels monopoly with Eurotunnel route approval – POLITICO

August 17, 2026

Three killed after private helicopter crashes on Greek island of Sifnos

August 17, 2026

The island, the letters, the loos

August 17, 2026

Mount Etna lightning strike kills hiker from the US

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Dogs receive holy water blessing in Bolivia ceremony

August 17, 2026

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s request to overturn sex assault judgement

August 17, 2026

Ukraine urges EU sanctions on Rosatom over allegations of nuclear safety violations – POLITICO

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.