Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Video. How Cubans feel about the US indictment of Raúl Castro

May 22, 2026

SpaceX delays rocket launch amid €1.51tn IPO plans

May 22, 2026

Jewish raid in Paris: Missing photos finally give victims of the Nazi era a face

May 22, 2026

Rutte and Polish officials cheer Trump’s U-turn on NATO troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Hungary’s Magyar pushes back on pension and tax reforms as EU funding talks intensify

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Ukraine’s Oschadbank demands money back and denies opposition links after Hungary cash seizure

By staffMarch 9, 20263 Mins Read
Ukraine’s Oschadbank demands money back and denies opposition links after Hungary cash seizure
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
09/03/2026 – 14:28 GMT+1

Ukraine’s Oschadbank is demanding the immediate return of cash and gold confiscated by Hungarian authorities last week, lawyers representing the bank in Hungary told Euronews.

The incident triggered a diplomatic row after Hungarian police raided a convoy of cash carriers near Budapest and seized $40 million, €35 million and 9kg of gold.

Hungary expelled seven Ukrainian nationals accompanying the transport the following day and opened an investigation into suspected money laundering.

Horváth Lawyers, a law firm representing Oschadbank and its seven employees in Hungary, told Euronews that the Ukrainian vehicles were carrying out a routine transfer from Austria’s Raiffeisen Bank to Oschadbank’s headquarters in Kyiv.

‘Conducted lawfully’

“The origin, purpose, and legal title of the funds can be clearly identified by documentary evidence, and there is no evidence to suggest that the money is derived from or related to criminal activity,” the law firm said, adding that the seizure must be ended immediately.

The lawyers noted that Oschadbank had been conducting cash transfers through Hungary since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, with the knowledge of Hungarian authorities.

“The transfer was conducted lawfully, under the control of the relevant authorities,” they said.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha accused Hungary of kidnapping and state terrorism, while his Hungarian counterpart, Péter Szijjártó, said the funds could be linked to criminal activities.

“The question rightly arises whether this is not the money of the Ukrainian war mafia,” Szijjártó said.

János Lázár, Hungary’s minister for construction and transport, suggested the funds could be used to finance opposition parties ahead of Hungarian elections.

Horváth Lawyers rejected both claims.

“The data from the proceedings do not support those political statements. Based on our knowledge, the case has no Hungarian party financing implications and no Ukrainian criminal groups have been implicated,” the firm said.

Seven Ukrainians banned from EU

Horváth Lawyers also disclosed that the seven Ukrainian nationals they represent have been banned from the Schengen area and the broader European Union for three years, with Hungary citing national security grounds.

“The case also contains several elements that are of legal concern, including the lack of substantive content of the national security justification, the limited transparency of the reasoning behind the decision, and the narrow scope of legal remedies,” the firm said.

The lawyers indicated the concerns raised could form the basis of a case before the European Court of Human Rights.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Hungary’s Magyar pushes back on pension and tax reforms as EU funding talks intensify

Portugal and France in shock: what do we know about the case of the abandoned children

Watch: Why Europe’s forgotten power bloc is making a return

More US troops in Poland – What does the country have to say about it

Trump to send additional 5,000 US troops to Poland

Brussels to remove remaining barriers with Mexico as the allies review their trade agreement

Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash over Atlantic

EU countries urge sanctions on Israeli minister for video of Gaza flotilla activists

European carmakers face EU pressure to diversify chip suppliers

Editors Picks

SpaceX delays rocket launch amid €1.51tn IPO plans

May 22, 2026

Jewish raid in Paris: Missing photos finally give victims of the Nazi era a face

May 22, 2026

Rutte and Polish officials cheer Trump’s U-turn on NATO troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Hungary’s Magyar pushes back on pension and tax reforms as EU funding talks intensify

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Russian strike on Sumy injures six as mass drone attack hits Ukraine

May 22, 2026

Leonardo equips Kuwaiti patrol vessels, Italy boosts presence in Persian Gulf

May 22, 2026

Video. Watch: Emotional scenes for Stephen Colbert’s final ‘Late Show’

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.