Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

EU complains about ‘surprise’ UK move to roll back Russia sanctions – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

‘No way out’: Italian divers who died in the Maldives may have become lost in cave, rescuers say

May 21, 2026

Video. Israel destroyed a four storey house in overnight airstrike in central Gaza camp

May 21, 2026

Million-dollar salaries, billion-dollar stakes: Top AI talent every tech giant is fighting over

May 21, 2026

How to have a responsible day trip in Europe’s most overtouristed cities

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

Trump’s ceasefire already under strain

By staffApril 8, 20263 Mins Read
Trump’s ceasefire already under strain
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Iranian state media reported later Wednesday that Tehran will soon close the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway for the global transit of oil, in response to Israel’s Lebanon strikes.

The developments underscore the fragility of the temporary peace agreement Trump announced on Tuesday, as Iran insists Lebanon be included in the framework and both the president and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu argue it remains fair game for Israel Defense Forces attacks.

“The Iran–U.S. Ceasefire terms are clear and explicit: the U.S. must choose — ceasefire or continued war via Israel,” Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said in a statement on X. “It cannot have both. The world sees the massacres in Lebanon. The ball is in the U.S. court, and the world is watching whether it will act on its commitments.”

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt refuted reports of the strait’s closure in a briefing, telling reporters that they don’t square with the private conversations administration officials are having with Iranian interlocutors.

“The president was made aware of those reports before I came to the podium,” she said. “That is completely unacceptable, and again, this is a case of what they’re saying publicly is different privately. We have seen an uptick of traffic in the Strait today.”

But ceasefires, Leavitt said, “are fragile by nature.”

“We’ve seen this with respect to the 12-day war with Iran and Israel last year,” she told reporters. “It takes time sometimes for these ceasefires to be fully effectuated.”

Trump announced the eleventh-hour temporary peace agreement, as the world waited to see if he’d follow through on a threat to invoke civilizational destruction if Iran didn’t reopen the Strait of Hormuz before an 8 p.m. Tuesday deadline.

Araghchi said his country would end its operations “if attacks against Iran are halted” and promised “safe passage through” the critical waterway “via coordination with Iran’s Armed Forces” in a statement released shortly after Trump’s announcement.

But the UAE’s Defense Ministry said Wednesday that its air defenses “engaged” 17 ballistic missiles and 35 UAVs “launched from Iran.” Kuwait’s Defense Ministry said that its air defenses had spent the morning responding to Iranian attacks. And Bahrain’s Interior Ministry wrote on X that it put out a fire in a facility targeted by Iran on Wednesday.

Sharif is placing the weight of peace on both sides of the conflict. In his social media post, he tagged the accounts of Trump, Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, as well as Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Araghchi, among other high-profile figures leading diplomatic overtures.

The White House also announced Wednesday that the vice president would lead a delegation to Pakistan along with special envoy Steve Witkoff and the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to negotiate a permanent end to the war.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

EU complains about ‘surprise’ UK move to roll back Russia sanctions – POLITICO

Europe must make big changes to compete with US, space chief warns – POLITICO

Russia pledges to support Cuba as Trump ramps up pressure on Havana – POLITICO

Ukraine should be in NATO, Czech military chief says – POLITICO

EU cuts growth forecasts as Middle East war drags on – POLITICO

Gonorrhea and syphilis cases hit record highs in Europe – POLITICO

Fixing gaps in schizophrenia care – POLITICO

Putin’s trolls are weakening Merz to boost Russia-friendly far right – POLITICO

Wie Rubio Trump nachfolgen will – POLITICO

Editors Picks

‘No way out’: Italian divers who died in the Maldives may have become lost in cave, rescuers say

May 21, 2026

Video. Israel destroyed a four storey house in overnight airstrike in central Gaza camp

May 21, 2026

Million-dollar salaries, billion-dollar stakes: Top AI talent every tech giant is fighting over

May 21, 2026

How to have a responsible day trip in Europe’s most overtouristed cities

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Europe must make big changes to compete with US, space chief warns – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

No, the US hasn’t announced a total withdrawal of troops from Europe

May 21, 2026

Video. Paris hosts Franco-Lebanese music event to aid Lebanon’s humanitarian crisis

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.