Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Ukraine strikes Russian oil refinery in long-range drone attack, Kyiv says

May 21, 2026

Airbnb expands beyond rentals with AI planning tools, airport pickups and World Cup experiences

May 21, 2026

Felipe VI presents 2025 Joan Margarit Poetry Prize to Margaret Atwood in Toronto

May 21, 2026

Ukraine should be in NATO, Czech military chief says – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Russia delivers nuclear warheads to Belarus as NATO tensions spike

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Business
Business

Lamborghini CEO says EV plans on hold due to weak luxury demand

By staffFebruary 23, 20263 Mins Read
Lamborghini CEO says EV plans on hold due to weak luxury demand
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Lamborghini has abandoned plans to bring its first fully electric supercar to market, pivoting instead to plug-in hybrids as it responds to weak demand from its core luxury buyers.

The high-end luxury car producer confirmed that the long-trailed Lanzador electric model, unveiled as a concept in 2023, will no longer reach production based on an interview with Lamborghini chief executive Stephan Winkelmann published by The Sunday Times.

Instead, it will be replaced by a plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV), cementing a strategy shift that will see the company’s line-up fully hybridised by the end of the decade.

Cooling appetite for electric supercars

The decision underscores growing caution among high-performance carmakers about the pace of electrification in the luxury segment.

Winkelmann signalled that customer enthusiasm, which is a critical factor for ultra-premium brands, has not materialised as expected.

“The acceptance curve” for battery-electric Lamborghinis in the company’s target market is “close to zero”, he told The Sunday Times.

He warned that pressing ahead regardless would carry financial risks.

“Investing heavily in full-EV development when the market and customer base are not ready would be an expensive hobby, and financially irresponsible towards shareholders, customers [and] to our employees and their families,” Winkelmann said in the interview.

The chief executive added that the company’s clientele continues to prioritise the sensory appeal of traditional cars.

“EVs, in their current form, struggle to deliver this specific emotional connection.”

Hybrids positioned as the compromise

Lamborghini now sees plug-in hybrids as the optimal bridge between regulation and brand identity. The group has already electrified its current range, including the Revuelto, Urus and Temerario, using hybrid technology.

“Plug-in hybrids offer the best of both worlds, combining the agility and low-rev boost of electric battery technology with the emotion and power output of an internal combustion engine,” Winkelmann said.

He added that conventional engines would remain in production “for as long as possible”.

The shift is notable because Lamborghini had previously signalled that a full-electric model would arrive later this decade. The Lanzador had been positioned as a cornerstone of that strategy.

Why the move matters

The rethink by one of the world’s most recognisable supercar brands highlights a broader tension in the automotive transition. While regulatory pressure is accelerating, consumer appetite, especially at the top end of the market, remains uneven.

Lamborghini delivered a record 10,747 vehicles in 2025, buoyed by strong hybrid sales. Europe and the Middle East remain its largest markets, though the company reported softer performance in the Americas.

Industry watchers say the decision reflects a pragmatic calculation.

Unlike mass-market manufacturers, low-volume luxury brands depend heavily on emotional appeal and brand mystique — areas where fully electric drivetrains have yet to win over traditional performance buyers.

Still, Winkelmann stopped short of ruling out a future electric Lamborghini.

“Never say never, but only when the time is right. For the foreseeable future, only PHEVs.”

Regulatory pressure still looming

The strategic pause comes as the EU pushes towards a 2035 phase-out of new combustion-engine cars, while the UK maintains a 2030 ban timeline for most petrol and diesel models.

As a small manufacturer, Lamborghini currently benefits from emissions exemptions until 2035 and is expected to seek their renewal.

Winkelmann cautioned that the industry faces a challenging transition period this decade.

“The times we are living in are fast moving; if you don’t react fast, you risk going out of business or losing momentum,” he said.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Real income growth Europe 2025: Biggest economies lag as Poland and Portugal lead

The UN has bad news for global growth as Middle East crisis continues

Spain steps on the gas: 76% of firms now have a reindustrialisation strategy

PlayStation Plus price hikes spark backlash from gamers as Sony raises subscription

AI bidding wars: The talent making a fortune as Big Tech firms fight it out

Oil prices slip as Trump calls off planned military strike on Iran

Ryanair profits surge 40% to €2.26 billion despite Boeing delays and fuel crisis

Marc Jacobs parts ways with LVMH after nearly 30 years

Trump in Beijing: How do America and China compare as economic superpowers?

Editors Picks

Airbnb expands beyond rentals with AI planning tools, airport pickups and World Cup experiences

May 21, 2026

Felipe VI presents 2025 Joan Margarit Poetry Prize to Margaret Atwood in Toronto

May 21, 2026

Ukraine should be in NATO, Czech military chief says – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Russia delivers nuclear warheads to Belarus as NATO tensions spike

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Who is Raúl Castro: the man who inherited the revolution and still shapes Cuba under pressure

May 21, 2026

EU cuts growth forecasts as Middle East war drags on – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Latvia issues warning to residents after detecting unmanned aerial vehicle in its airspace

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.