Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Video. Turkey welcomes 422 Gaza flotilla activists after Israel detention

May 22, 2026

EU air connectivity ‘flatlined’ in 2025 thanks to costs and regulatory burden, says IATA

May 22, 2026

‘A mythological story’: Lupita Nyong’o responds to racist backlash over ‘The Odyssey’ role

May 22, 2026

Lukashenka offers to meet Zelenskyy as Ukraine warns of Russia’s new offensive through Belarus

May 22, 2026

Video. How Cubans feel about the US indictment of Raúl Castro

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Israeli strikes kill at least 20 people in southern Lebanon

By staffMarch 8, 20263 Mins Read
Israeli strikes kill at least 20 people in southern Lebanon
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Israel renewed its assault on southern Lebanon early Sunday as the war entered its ninth day and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promised “many surprises” in the next phase of the conflict rippling across the region.

The latest strikes in Lebanon killed at least 20 more people, pushing the death toll there above 300 after Israel ordered large swaths of the country to evacuate during an offensive that its military said would be aimed at stamping out Iran-supported forces there.

The Israeli military has ordered tens of thousands of people in large swaths of the country, including parts of the Beirut area, to evacuate during an offensive that its military said would be aimed at stamping out Iran-supported forces there. It warned residents of southern Lebanon to move north on Sunday morning.

Israel’s renewed offensive began last week after Hezbollah launched rockets toward northern Israel during the opening days of the war. The subsequent strikes have been the most intense since a November 2024 ceasefire.

Israel withdrew from most of southern Lebanon at that time but continued near-daily strikes, primarily in southern Lebanon, saying that Hezbollah had been trying to rebuild its positions there. Hezbollah said last week that after more than a year of abiding by a ceasefire as Israel’s strikes continued on Lebanon, its patience has ended, leaving it with no option but to fight.

Israel and the United States launched the war on 28 February, saying they were targeting Iran’s nuclear and missile programs and suggesting they sought to topple the government. The conflict has since spread across the region, rattling global markets, disrupting air travel and leaving Iran’s leadership weakened by hundreds of Israeli and American airstrikes.

The fighting has killed at least 1,230 people in Iran, more than 290 in Lebanon and 11 in Israel, according to officials in those countries. Six US troops have been killed.

Iran has fired missiles and drones at neighbouring countries in the Gulf, Israel has intensified attacks in Lebanon and strikes have reported from Cyprus to waters off of Sri Lanka.

As Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu laid out the next phase of the war late Saturday, saying Israel aims to destabilise Iran’s regime and allow change in government, Israel launched another wave of strikes late Saturday, hitting an oil storage facility in Tehran — the first apparent strike on a civilian industrial site — sending pillars of fire into the night sky.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Turkey welcomes 422 Gaza flotilla activists after Israel detention

Video. How Cubans feel about the US indictment of Raúl Castro

Video. Russian strike on Sumy injures six as mass drone attack hits Ukraine

Erdoğan signs decree closing Istanbul’s Bilgi University amid criminal probe into owner

British climber scales Everest for record 20th time, officials say

Video. Angry crowd sets fire to Ebola treatment center in Congo

‘It doesn’t feel real’: Team Qatar gears up for historic Le Mans debut

Rubio doubtful diplomacy would work with Cuban government as Trump raises threat of military action

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

Editors Picks

EU air connectivity ‘flatlined’ in 2025 thanks to costs and regulatory burden, says IATA

May 22, 2026

‘A mythological story’: Lupita Nyong’o responds to racist backlash over ‘The Odyssey’ role

May 22, 2026

Lukashenka offers to meet Zelenskyy as Ukraine warns of Russia’s new offensive through Belarus

May 22, 2026

Video. How Cubans feel about the US indictment of Raúl Castro

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

SpaceX delays rocket launch amid €1.51tn IPO plans

May 22, 2026

Jewish raid in Paris: Missing photos finally give victims of the Nazi era a face

May 22, 2026

Rutte and Polish officials cheer Trump’s U-turn on NATO troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.