Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Greece sabotages its own plans to reverse the brain drain of scientists – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says

August 18, 2026

Virgin threatens Eurostar’s London-Brussels monopoly with Eurotunnel route approval – POLITICO

August 17, 2026

Three killed after private helicopter crashes on Greek island of Sifnos

August 17, 2026

The island, the letters, the loos

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Iran says delegation to visit Qatar this week but insists no negotiations scheduled with the US

By staffJune 29, 20263 Mins Read
Iran says delegation to visit Qatar this week but insists no negotiations scheduled with the US
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
29/06/2026 – 22:20 GMT+2

Iran said on Monday evening that a delegation of experts would travel to Doha “later this week” to discuss implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding signed with the United States earlier this month, but stressed the visit would not constitute negotiations with Washington.

A foreign ministry spokesperson said “we have not yet entered the stage of negotiating a final agreement” and that “over the coming days, we will not have any negotiation meetings with the US side at any level.”

The announcement came after conflicting reports regarding whether talks would take place between the US and Iran.

Multiple US media reported earlier that, following an agreement to halt attacks after an exchange of strikes strained the deal, the two sides planned to renew talks in Qatar on Tuesday.

Iran rejected the claim, with deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi saying that reports “by some media outlets” on technical talks in Doha “are not confirmed”.

This prompted US President Donald Trump to respond within hours on his social media platform Truth Social, insisting that “Iran has requested a meeting” and that “it will take place tomorrow (Tuesday) in Doha”.

White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt subsequently said US envoy Steve Witkoff and senior adviser Jared Kushner would travel to Doha for “high-level meetings” this week.

The back-and-forth reflects the fragility of the framework signed on 17 June, which gave both sides 60 days to negotiate a final deal covering Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, and the long-term status of the Strait of Hormuz.

The deal has come under severe strain after an Iranian drone struck the Panama-flagged crude tanker M/T Kiku near the strait, prompting US Central Command to hit 10 Iranian military targets. Iran retaliated with strikes on US bases in Kuwait and Bahrain. Both sides have since agreed to stand down, with a US official saying vessels could now move freely through the waterway.

The de-mining question has added a further complication. After France and Oman announced plans for joint operations following a meeting between French President Emmanuel Macron and Sultan Haitham bin Tariq of Oman, Gharibabadi pushed back, insisting only Iran was authorised to conduct them under the agreement. “The situation is sensitive and complex. We strongly advise France not to complicate it further with its provocations,” he wrote on X.

Maritime data firm Kpler reported just 29 vessels crossed the strait on Saturday, falling to 12 on Sunday. No ships used the southern Omani corridor, while AXSMarine found 44 had stopped publicly transmitting their positions.

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Dogs receive holy water blessing in Bolivia ceremony

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s request to overturn sex assault judgement

Video. Tokyo festival turns streets into a giant water fight

Yemen risks return to ‘full-scale conflict’ if Houthi strikes continue, UN rights chief warns

Venezuela seeks return of 31 tonnes of gold worth €4bn from Bank of England

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it impedes US-Iran Strait of Hormuz talks

From being single to soaring costs and war: Why Iranian women are freezing their eggs

Video. Unexpected passengers: Two goats surprise passengers by boarding a bus

Ben-Gvir calls for killing of ’30 to 40′ Palestinians in Gaza nightly in taped interview with former hostage

Editors Picks

Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says

August 18, 2026

Virgin threatens Eurostar’s London-Brussels monopoly with Eurotunnel route approval – POLITICO

August 17, 2026

Three killed after private helicopter crashes on Greek island of Sifnos

August 17, 2026

The island, the letters, the loos

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Mount Etna lightning strike kills hiker from the US

August 17, 2026

Video. Dogs receive holy water blessing in Bolivia ceremony

August 17, 2026

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s request to overturn sex assault judgement

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.