Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

SpaceX delays rocket launch amid €1.51tn IPO plans

May 22, 2026

Jewish raid in Paris: Missing photos finally give victims of the Nazi era a face

May 22, 2026

Rutte and Polish officials cheer Trump’s U-turn on NATO troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Hungary’s Magyar pushes back on pension and tax reforms as EU funding talks intensify

May 22, 2026

Video. Russian strike on Sumy injures six as mass drone attack hits Ukraine

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Business
Business

Bapco declares force majeure as Iran sets Bahrain’s only refinery ablaze

By staffMarch 9, 20263 Mins Read
Bapco declares force majeure as Iran sets Bahrain’s only refinery ablaze
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
09/03/2026 – 11:19 GMT+1

Bahrain’s state energy company declared force majeure on its oil shipments on Monday after an Iranian attack set its only refinery ablaze, becoming the latest Gulf state to invoke the clause as Iran widens its campaign against regional energy infrastructure.

A strike targeting Bahrain’s sprawling Al-Ma’ameer oil facility caused a fire at the complex along with material damage, the Bahrain News Agency reported, though no casualties were recorded and firefighting operations were under way.

Videos widely shared on social media showed thick smoke billowing from the industrial zone housing the refinery.

In its force majeure notice, Bapco Energies said its “group operations have been affected by the ongoing regional conflict in the Middle East and the recent attack on its refinery complex.”

Force majeure is a legal provision that frees parties from liability when failure to meet contractual obligations results from events beyond their control.

The company said it could still meet domestic demand.

The 90-year-old refinery was first reported damaged last week.

Bapco had recently modernised the plant and boosted its capacity to up to up to 380,000 barrels per day, upgrading units capable of producing more jet fuel and diesel.

Bahrain is not the first Gulf state to take the step.

QatarEnergy made a similar declaration last Wednesday after two of its liquefied natural gas facilities were struck, forcing a production pause and sending fresh volatility through global energy markets.

Qatar’s energy minister had warned that all Gulf exporters would be forced to follow suit within days. Kuwait has also declared force majeure on oil sales after cutting output at its fields and refineries.

The energy shock comes as Iran also targeted a residential area in Bahrain, wounding 32 people including children and as a separate Iranian drone attack damaged one of the kingdom’s desalination plants — the first time an Arab country had reported Iran targeting a desalination facility during the nine-day conflict, raising concern across a region that depends on such plants for its water supply.

Bahrain is an archipelago of 33 natural islands spanning approximately 760 square kilometres, roughly the size of Greater London, with a population of about 1.6 million, making it the third-smallest nation in Asia.

It is one of the most densely populated countries on earth, and one of the Gulf’s smallest but most strategically significant oil producers.

Brent crude surged above $114 a barrel on Monday, roughly 60% higher than when the US and Israel first struck Iran on 28 February.

President Donald Trump sought to play down the spike, writing on social media that short-term oil prices “will drop rapidly when the destruction of the Iran nuclear threat is over”.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Leonardo equips Kuwaiti patrol vessels, Italy boosts presence in Persian Gulf

Global markets rise as Iran war uncertainty keeps oil elevated

One in a thousand: The European countries where the ultra-rich earn the most

Stellantis to launch 60 new models by 2030: electric car made in Pomigliano

Ahead of the SpaceX IPO, a look at the biggest stock market debuts ever

EasyJet losses deepen as Iran war drives fuel costs higher and hits bookings

Million-dollar salaries, billion-dollar stakes: Top AI talent every tech giant is fighting over

Real income growth Europe 2025: Biggest economies lag as Poland and Portugal lead

The UN has bad news for global growth as Middle East crisis continues

Editors Picks

Jewish raid in Paris: Missing photos finally give victims of the Nazi era a face

May 22, 2026

Rutte and Polish officials cheer Trump’s U-turn on NATO troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Hungary’s Magyar pushes back on pension and tax reforms as EU funding talks intensify

May 22, 2026

Video. Russian strike on Sumy injures six as mass drone attack hits Ukraine

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Leonardo equips Kuwaiti patrol vessels, Italy boosts presence in Persian Gulf

May 22, 2026

Video. Watch: Emotional scenes for Stephen Colbert’s final ‘Late Show’

May 22, 2026

Europe’s security elite react to Trump’s U-turn on troops in Poland — live updates – POLITICO

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.