Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

France tackles dodgy condom problem – POLITICO

August 21, 2026

Sweden plans to send migrants to Italy, France and Spain reject Dublin transfers

August 21, 2026

Video. New videos show deadly landslide burying gold miners in Central African Republic

August 21, 2026

Could magnesium become the new lithium for electric vehicles?

August 21, 2026

Greece’s tourist numbers have risen in 2026, but visitors are spending less

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

‘We are guarding Germans, Belgians’: Latvia stops 28 migrants from Belarus after tunnel discovery

By staffAugust 21, 20264 Mins Read
‘We are guarding Germans, Belgians’: Latvia stops 28 migrants from Belarus after tunnel discovery
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Latvia stopped 28 migrants who crossed the eastern European Union’s border from Belarus using a tunnel. The underground passage, found around 20 metres from the border, was concealed with moss.

It is the second such tunnel discovered in Latvia. On 10 August, Latvian border guards found another tunnel that had been used by 15 migrants to enter the country from Belarus.

Latvia has been experiencing a rise in irregular migration in recent months — something that European leaders call a hybrid attack by Aliaksandr Lukashenka’s regime — as the country is preparing for parliamentary elections on 3 October.

The country of 2 million has already stopped nearly 10,000 attempts to illegally cross the border in the first eight months of 2026, compared with 12,000 for the whole of last year.

On some days, border guards record more than 100 attempts to cross the 173-kilometre-long fenced border.

But Latvia is not their final destination.

“Latvia is not a target country. We are guarding, you know, Germans, Belgians, Netherlands here in Latvia,” Guntis Pujāts, Chief of the State Border Guard, told Euronews. “They just try to use Latvia, like a trans-country.”

The rise in secondary migration in neighbouring Lithuania, which has registered a fourfold increase in migrants arriving from Latvia, appears to support his words.

However, Pujāts said European countries do not fully understand that Latvia is protecting the whole of Europe.

“Unfortunately, there is not enough understanding about the current situation,” he said.

Latvia is receiving support through bilateral agreements with Estonia, Lithuania and Finland, which have all sent additional border guard personnel to help the country cope with migration pressure. A similar agreement is also expected to be signed with Poland this month.

Latvian President Edgars Rinkēvičs said that understanding is growing that the Baltic states’ and Poland’s borders with Belarus and Russia are external European borders.

“That understanding is increasing,” he told Euronews.

Where are the migrants coming from?

The influx of migrants from countries outside Europe through Belarus began in 2021, after Lukashenka threatened to facilitate the movement of migrants and drugs into the EU, following the bloc’s sanctions against his regime.

“We haven’t had such problems before 2021,” the Border Guard chief, Pujāts, said.

Latvia has kept its official border crossing points open to asylum seekers, but the current migration flows are not using legal routes, he said.

“This is not a legal…migration flow. We have no border with Iran, with Iraq, with Eritrea and with Afghanistan and so on,” Pujāts added. Other countries of origin include Syria, Cameroon and Cuba, with migrants coming “from Africa, Asia, and as well, from America,” he said.

The Latvian Prosecutor General’s Office opened a criminal case against officials of Belarus’ border service in mid-July, following a complaint filed by the State Border Guard.

The complaint states that “since August 2021, the State Border Guard has faced prolonged and systematic migratory pressure on the Latvian-Belarusian border, which should be assessed not as a series of attempts by individual third-country nationals to cross the border illegally, but as deliberate and systematic unlawful activities by a criminal organisation that includes officials of the border authorities of the Republic of Belarus, aimed at illegally moving large numbers of people across the state border of the Republic of Latvia with the intention of causing harm to the Republic of Latvia.”

Asked for proof, Pujāts mentioned some of it.

“We know that [migrants] were transported using Belarusian state vehicles, they lived in Belarusian state facilities and so we understand that this was organised like some revenge or I think even more that Lukashenka thought that the European Union would start some negotiations, you know and pay some money to stop this illegal [migration],” he said.

In the meantime, the Baltic country has stepped up its border protection. Latvia completed the construction of a fence along its 173-kilometre border with Belarus last year, while final works to equip it with additional technology are expected to be completed by the end of this year.

In mid-August, Latvia also launched a security operation “Vilkatis” — or “Werewolf” —against what it describes as instrumentalised illegal migration from Belarus.

Despite support from neighbouring countries, Latvia is still short of around 200 border guards.

“One is technologies, the other is human resources,” said Pujāts.

“We are working to improve our human capacities, to recruit more border guards, and I hope in a … couple of years the situation will be changed in a positive way.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Sweden plans to send migrants to Italy, France and Spain reject Dublin transfers

French driver discovers 1.5 metre boa constrictor under car bonnet

ICC head Tomoko Akane warns of ‘demise of international rule of law’ after US sanctions

Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on A-list Ukraine war movie starring Sean Penn

Missing in action: Ukrainian soldiers reportedly desert during training in Germany

Swiss tourist sentenced to year in jail for insulting Bali’s sacred Day of Silence

Banderol, Russia’s new low-cost weapon testing Ukraine’s air defences

Overcome market fragmentation or miss the AI train, Lagarde warns the EU

Full-face veil bans: How do rules compare across Europe?

Editors Picks

Sweden plans to send migrants to Italy, France and Spain reject Dublin transfers

August 21, 2026

Video. New videos show deadly landslide burying gold miners in Central African Republic

August 21, 2026

Could magnesium become the new lithium for electric vehicles?

August 21, 2026

Greece’s tourist numbers have risen in 2026, but visitors are spending less

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Euronews Culture’s Film of the Week: ‘Fjord’

August 21, 2026

A German conservative mayor backed the AfD. Now Merz is on the spot. – POLITICO

August 21, 2026

French driver discovers 1.5 metre boa constrictor under car bonnet

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.