Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

August 19, 2026

Climate change is cooking Europe’s oceans, scientists find – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Snakes on a campaign! When animals attack politicians – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Netherlands slams US sanctions on top ICC officials – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Ousted Ukrainian defense chief Fedorov demands elections in challenge to Zelenskyy – POLITICO

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

By staffAugust 19, 20263 Mins Read
US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
19/08/2026 – 5:59 GMT+2

The South Korean and US militaries have agreed to shorten their drills at the Washington’s request, according to officialss in Seoul, a move that likely reflected President Donald Trump’s hopes to reengage with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un but could undermine US-South Korean defence readiness.

Earlier in the week, Trump had ordered his Pentagon chief to “substantially reduce” the allies’ summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, just before they began on Monday.

Trump cited what he said was a “very good relationship” with Kim and South Korea’s refusal to join the US war against Iran as the primary reasons behind his decision to pull back from the drills he viewed as “totally inappropriate and hostile” to Pyongyang.

South Korea’s military said in a statement the ongoing drills with the US would end on Friday, instead of 27 August as initially planned. It said the allies also agreed to downsize some joint field training exercises.

The statement said Seoul and Washington will discuss and carry out various steps to achieve objectives of their drills and establish combined defence postures.

Ulchi Freedom Shield is largely a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to boost the allies’ readiness to deal with potential North Korean aggression. The two countries usually hold a set of training directly addressing diverse threats within the security environment.

The drills and a similar springtime exercise are a central pillar of the alliance, which dates back dates since the 1950-53 Korean War.

But it’s also a long-running source of tensions with North Korea, which has denounced the exercises as a rehearsal for an invasion and responded with provocative missile tests. Days before this month’s drills began, North Korea launched two ballistic missiles into the sea.

This month’s drills were reportedly supposed to be held in two phases — the first part until this Friday with a focus on defensive operations in simulation of North Korean attacks and the second part until 27 August to practice counteroffensive operations. Pyongyang is typically extremely sensitive to counteroffensive drills.

Kim Jong Un hasn’t responded to Trump’s overture, but earlier on Wednesday, the country’s state news agency, KCNA, published a commentary slamming the military drills as “frantic” and “extremely dangerous”, vowing to completely frustrate its rivals’ hostilities.

“The dangerous escalation of the war drills staged by the US and its vassal forces is posing a more serious threat to the security rights of North Korea,” the commentary said.

“Our exercise of its right to self-defence will continue to completely neutralise the enemies’ military threat.”

Many experts said Kim, now emboldened by his advancing nuclear programme and expanding military cooperation with Russia, won’t likely embrace Trump’s overture anytime soon unless he’s promised bigger concessions.

In response to Trump’s previous outreach, Kim suggested last year that he can return to talks only after the US drops its demand of a North Korean denuclearisation as a precondition for diplomacy.

Trump and Kim met three times from 2018-2019 but their high-stakes diplomacy eventually fell apart over wrangling over a North Korean demand for extensive sanctions relief in return for limited denuclearisation steps.

On Monday, South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung’s office expressed hopes that a “friendly relationship” between Trump and Kim would lead to “meaningful dialogue” between their countries to promote peace on the Korean Peninsula.

This drew a strong backlash from conservatives, who alleged Lee’s government was prioritising the resumption of Kim-Trump diplomacy over security concerns caused by Trump’s move.

Additional sources • AP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Evening

Video. Italian town carries towering Virgin Mary structure through streets

Video. Champagne harvest starts early in France as heatwave speeds ripening

Ship hit in Hormuz as Iran’s top negotiator says strait to stay shut

Opening statements begin in long-awaited trial almost 30 years after hip-hop star Tupac Shakur was murdered

Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

Video. Dogs receive holy water blessing in Bolivia ceremony

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s request to overturn sex assault judgement

Editors Picks

Climate change is cooking Europe’s oceans, scientists find – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Snakes on a campaign! When animals attack politicians – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Netherlands slams US sanctions on top ICC officials – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Ousted Ukrainian defense chief Fedorov demands elections in challenge to Zelenskyy – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Firefighters pushing to ‘definitively encircle’ east Belgium wildfire, authorities say

August 18, 2026

London’s St Pancras station briefly evacuated amid controlled explosion of unattended car

August 18, 2026

Police decry conditions in Ceuta: One bathroom for 70 officers and eight officers to a room

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.