Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Despite ‘chaotic communication’ Polish aide says Trump is committed to troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Fact-check: No, ‘claqueurs’ did not applaud Merkel at European Parliament

May 22, 2026

Video. USA: MomoCon in Atlanta unites 65,000 fans for a huge geek culture fest

May 22, 2026

From rolling clothes to shoe hacks: The packing tips travel experts swear by

May 22, 2026

‘Zapper Bolloré’: Hollywood stars join petition against billionaire Bolloré

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Business
Business

TotalEnergies closes key Saudi refinery after attacks

By staffApril 10, 20262 Mins Read
TotalEnergies closes key Saudi refinery after attacks
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
By&nbspDoloresz Katanich&nbspwith&nbspAFP

Published on 10/04/2026 – 14:52 GMT+2•Updated
15:03

French energy giant TotalEnergies said Friday that it had shut down a major refinery on the eastern Gulf coast of Saudi Arabia after it was damaged during the Iran war.

The move follows earlier or ongoing shutdowns of production in Qatar, Iraq and offshore UAE fields, representing about 15% of the company’s total output.

The decision to close the refinery comes after the Saudi energy ministry said on Thursday that there had been “multiple attacks” on its oil and gas sites, including the SATORP refinery, a joint venture owned by TotalEnergies and the Saudi state-owned Aramco group.

No details on production impact or the type of attack were disclosed.

TotalEnergies cited only “incidents that occurred during the night of 7 to 8 April, causing damage to one of the refinery’s two processing trains”.

No casualties were reported, and the company said both units were shut down as a precaution while assessing the damage.

The Saudi energy ministry had referred to SATORP when announcing that recent attacks carried out by Iran against the kingdom’s energy infrastructure killed one person and affected its oil production capacity.

A ministry official told the SPA news agency that the attacks “disrupted several production operations at key facilities”.

Aramco has a 62.5% stake in SATORP, with TotalEnergies holding the remaining 37.5%.

Iran has targeted energy infrastructure and other sites in neighbouring Gulf countries in retaliation for the attacks launched by the United States and Israel on 28 February.

As for the impact on TotalEnergies, the company stated that onshore UAE production (in which it holds a share of about 210,000 barrels a day) is not affected by the conflict at this stage.

Overall, TotalEnergies does not expect a significant financial hit from the conflict.

The company said that most of its 2026 financial performance will come from countries outside the Middle East.

In a statement, TotalEnergies says, “a higher oil price more than offsets the loss of Middle East production,” adding that a $8 difference in Brent oil prices “in the Brent price is enough to offset the expected 2026 CFFO from our Iraq, UAE offshore and Qatar assets at $60/b”.

As for gas, the shutdowns in Qatar will only have a small impact on TotalEnergies’ business, according to the company.

The share price was down by 1.4% at 2 pm CET in Europe.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Leonardo equips Kuwaiti patrol vessels, Italy boosts presence in Persian Gulf

Global markets rise as Iran war uncertainty keeps oil elevated

One in a thousand: The European countries where the ultra-rich earn the most

Stellantis to launch 60 new models by 2030: electric car made in Pomigliano

Ahead of the SpaceX IPO, a look at the biggest stock market debuts ever

EasyJet losses deepen as Iran war drives fuel costs higher and hits bookings

Million-dollar salaries, billion-dollar stakes: Top AI talent every tech giant is fighting over

Real income growth Europe 2025: Biggest economies lag as Poland and Portugal lead

The UN has bad news for global growth as Middle East crisis continues

Editors Picks

Fact-check: No, ‘claqueurs’ did not applaud Merkel at European Parliament

May 22, 2026

Video. USA: MomoCon in Atlanta unites 65,000 fans for a huge geek culture fest

May 22, 2026

From rolling clothes to shoe hacks: The packing tips travel experts swear by

May 22, 2026

‘Zapper Bolloré’: Hollywood stars join petition against billionaire Bolloré

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Tony Blair’s consultancy doubles down on AI and restructures in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

EU leaves door open to sanctioning Russia’s Patriarch Kirill, but not yet

May 22, 2026

Video. ‘We are not for sale’: Greenlanders protest growing US presence in Nuuk

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.