Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Every suite and villa at this new wellness resort on the Red Sea comes with its own private pool

August 19, 2026

UK ‘open to discussing’ digital services tax with Trump administration – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

The border frontline: Latvia faces migrants, drones and war fears

August 19, 2026

Video. First jellyfish museum in the US opens in Pompano Beach

August 19, 2026

Beninese-French singer Angélique Kidjo makes history as first Black African to get Hollywood Walk of Fame star

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Spain ignores EU and prepares urgent transfer of 500 migrant girls from Ceuta to mainland

By staffAugust 19, 20263 Mins Read
Spain ignores EU and prepares urgent transfer of 500 migrant girls from Ceuta to mainland
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

According to Spain’s Ministry for Youth and Children, work is under way on the urgent transfer to mainland Spain of 500 migrant girls who arrived in Ceuta during the mass entry on 30 and 31 July.

Sources at the ministry explain that “this plan includes the royal decree-law providing for compulsory, solidarity-based reception by all the autonomous communities, or family placement, as well as other mechanisms to speed up reception”.

Among the options being considered is a route that would allow child-protection organisations to manage the reception and care of the most vulnerable cases, including the girls, in tailored facilities on the Iberian mainland, without the need to transfer guardianship to the autonomous communities.

Several autonomous communities have already said they will not take in unaccompanied minors who arrived in the surge that hit Ceuta. The central government has criticised what it calls the lack of “solidarity” shown by these regions. For its part, Morocco last week asked the Spanish government to return the Moroccan citizens still remaining in the enclave.

“Protecting the best interests of the child”

Elma Saiz, Minister for Inclusion, Social Security and Migration, told ‘Las Mañanas’ on ‘RNE’ that the issue is being addressed by Ceuta together with the Department for Children and the autonomous communities. She preferred not to give further details, but insisted on the need to “protect the best interests of the child”.

The Socialist politician stressed that “these are girls who are on their own”. She said the minors have been grouped together in safe spaces in Ceuta to prevent cases of sexual violence, after numerous rapes reported in recent days which are already in the hands of the courts.

The Social Security minister underlined the need to respect the law and said the government has given Ceuta 25 million euros to help deal with this situation.

The National Police had identified and handed over to the Ceuta government 2,168 minors by Tuesday.

Brussels backs sending all migrants back to Morocco

Meanwhile, the European Union is backing the return of unaccompanied minors from Ceuta to the African country. “The priority now is for the Spanish and Moroccan authorities to keep the situation under control and guarantee the swift return of all those who remain irregularly in Ceuta,” European Commission spokesperson Markus Lammert said at a press conference on Tuesday.

Lammert stressed that the returns are covered by EU law, adding that they are regulated by “the Return Directive” and, in future, by “the EU Return Regulation“.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

The border frontline: Latvia faces migrants, drones and war fears

Russian ‘safari’ drone attack on civilian minibus kills at least four, Ukraine says

Saxony-Anhalt election: who is behind “tactical voting”

Belgium wildfire ‘encircled’ overnight but situation still ‘complicated,’ officials say

EU-backed electricity link to Cyprus stalls amid regional tensions

Firefighters pushing to ‘definitively encircle’ east Belgium wildfire, authorities say

London’s St Pancras station briefly evacuated amid controlled explosion of unattended car

Police decry conditions in Ceuta: One bathroom for 70 officers and eight officers to a room

Porcupines spread near Warsaw: ‘It tasted some garden plants and got into the house’

Editors Picks

UK ‘open to discussing’ digital services tax with Trump administration – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

The border frontline: Latvia faces migrants, drones and war fears

August 19, 2026

Video. First jellyfish museum in the US opens in Pompano Beach

August 19, 2026

Beninese-French singer Angélique Kidjo makes history as first Black African to get Hollywood Walk of Fame star

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

French MEP Raphaël Glucksmann gears up to announce presidential run – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Russian ‘safari’ drone attack on civilian minibus kills at least four, Ukraine says

August 19, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Midday

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.