Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

As Trump’s tariffs are struck down, EU urges trade stability – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

February 20, 2026

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

German leader Friedrich Merz will visit China next week to deepen trade and cooperation

February 20, 2026

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

By staffFebruary 20, 20262 Mins Read
Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The IPC said six Russian and four Belarusian athletes have been awarded invitations to compete at the Games in para-alpine skiing, para cross-country skiing and para-snowboarding. The committee lifted its broader suspension of the two countries in September, after previously allowing athletes to compete only as neutrals following Russia’s 2022 full-invasion of Ukraine.

The decision is now drawing political backing across Europe. EU Sports Commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would skip the ceremony, warning that the IPC’s decision risked undermining solidarity with Ukraine.

Estonia’s Paralympic Committee has also condemned the move, with its governing officials saying they will not attend the opening ceremony.

In Poland, the head of the national Paralympic Committee told Polsat News his organization was considering a boycott, calling the IPC’s decision “scandalous” and the result of Russian lobbying.

Italy — host of the 2026 Winter Games — has also stepped up diplomatic pressure. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani and Sports Minister Andrea Abodi urged the IPC to reconsider, expressing Rome’s “absolute opposition” and arguing Russia’s continued violations of Olympic ideals make participation under national flags unacceptable.

The dispute follows recent tensions between Kyiv and the International Olympic Committee after Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych was disqualified from the Winter Olympics for attempting to wear a helmet honoring athletes killed in the war — a penalty that was upheld despite protests.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

As Trump’s tariffs are struck down, EU urges trade stability – POLITICO

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

UK says privileged trading terms with US will ‘continue’ in wake of Trump tariff ruling – POLITICO

Qatargate probe to continue after judges dismiss claims case was mishandled – POLITICO

5 NATO allies agree to produce low-cost drones – POLITICO

Swedish MP warns country to be less like Tottenham Hotspur – POLITICO

Missing stars, traffic chaos and robo-dog controversy – POLITICO

Why Britain struggles to hold onto its prime ministers – POLITICO

Christine Lagarde says her ‘baseline’ is to complete her term at the ECB – POLITICO

Editors Picks

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

February 20, 2026

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

German leader Friedrich Merz will visit China next week to deepen trade and cooperation

February 20, 2026

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

February 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

France welcomed record visitor numbers in 2025, retaining its title as world’s most visited country

February 20, 2026

UK says privileged trading terms with US will ‘continue’ in wake of Trump tariff ruling – POLITICO

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.