Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Wer gewinnt Rheinland-Pfalz? Alexander Schweitzer im Gespräch – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

February 22, 2026

Trump says he’s sending hospital ship to Greenland – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Berlin Film Festival: Yellow Letters wins the Golden Bear award 2026

February 21, 2026

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Northern Ireland town set to rename street honouring former Prince Andrew

By staffNovember 25, 20252 Mins Read
Northern Ireland town set to rename street honouring former Prince Andrew
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
25/11/2025 – 10:58 GMT+1

A town in Northern Ireland is set to change the name of a road honouring the UK’s disgraced ex-Prince Andrew, weeks after he was stripped of his royal titles over his ties to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Mid and East Antrim Council unanimously voted this week to rename Prince Andrew Way in the town of Carrickfergus, following King Charles III’s decision to remove his brother from public life last month due to the still-unravelling scandal.

The 65-year-old former prince, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, has faced growing scrutiny in recent months over new revelations about his friendship with Epstein.

A recently-released posthumous memoir by Virginia Giuffre — one of Epstein’s best-known accusers — accused Mountbatten-Windsor of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager. The former royal has denied those claims.

Following the Northern Irish council’s vote, staff said they would begin the name-changing process for the street, which will involve a public consultation.

Councillor Anna Henry, of the Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) party, said the motion was “sad but necessary”.

“Regrettably the alleged actions of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor have made it impossible for this council to continue honouring him in the manner the good people of Mid and East Antrim have done in the past.”

The councillor who brought the motion, Lauren Gray of the Alliance Party, said it would be fitting to rename the street after the UK’s late Queen Elizabeth II, but stressed that the public should have a say in the process.

Renaming Prince Andrew Way will have implications for residents, such as changing addresses for bank accounts, credit cards, driver’s licences and utility bills, the council said.

The street in Carrickfergus was given that title in 1986 to mark Mountbatten-Windsor’s marriage to Sarah Ferguson.

Residents in other parts of the UK have also asked their local councils to rename streets named after the former prince, according to British media reports.

In recent weeks, pressure has grown on Mountbatten-Windsor to give evidence to a US congressional committee investigating Epstein.

On Monday, the UK’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer suggested that the ex-prince should testify before the House Oversight Committee. The committee has requested a “transcribed interview” about his “long-standing friendship” with Epstein.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 21st, 2026 – Midday

Video. Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

Tehran accused of mass arrests, torture and executions after protests

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 20th, 2026 – Midday

Video. From Milano Cortina to Dakar 2026: Olympic mascots Tina and Ayo share the stage

Editors Picks

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

February 22, 2026

Trump says he’s sending hospital ship to Greenland – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Berlin Film Festival: Yellow Letters wins the Golden Bear award 2026

February 21, 2026

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Meloni and Macron postpone their first high-level summit – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

February 21, 2026

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.