Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Warum Deutschland sich selbst bremst – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses last year, Sánchez says

May 21, 2026

‘Historic’ UK trade deal with Gulf states set to add billions to British economy

May 21, 2026

Ahead of the SpaceX IPO, a look at the biggest stock market debuts ever

May 21, 2026

Greece opens laser ground station as Europe races to strengthen satellite links

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

‘No way out’: Italian divers who died in the Maldives may have become lost in cave, rescuers say

By staffMay 21, 20262 Mins Read
‘No way out’: Italian divers who died in the Maldives may have become lost in cave, rescuers say
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
21/05/2026 – 15:01 GMT+2

Five Italian nationals who died while scuba diving in the Maldives may have become lost while exploring an underwater cave, the CEO of the company that recovered their bodies said on Thursday.

The four remaining bodies were reportedly found earlier this week by a team of Finnish divers working for Dan Europe.

The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs previously said that the divers had gone missing while “attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres.”

An early reconstruction of events showed the cave the divers entered was divided into “three large chambers connected by narrow passages,” the ministry said.

Initial rescue operations exploring two of the three chambers were made difficult by the depth of the search area, meaning longer dives were not possible “due to the lack of oxygen for decompression,” it added.

“There was no way out from there,” Dan Europe executive Laura Marroni said, per Italian newspaper la Repubblica.

Marroni told the outlet that the divers had discovered that the cave, which is near the small island of Alimatha, began with a large, brightly-lit cavern.

An almost-30 metre long corridor then led away from that room where “visibility, using artificial lighting, was excellent,” she continued. From there, a sandbank separates the corridor from a second large chamber with no natural light.

The report said it would have been easy to get past the sandbank into this second room but that the bank appears to hide the corridor when you turn back.

The divers’ bodies were all found in a separate, shorter corridor to the left of the sandbank, per the report.

“It would have been very difficult to return, especially with the limited air supply”, Marroni said, adding that they likely had “about 10 minutes, maybe even less.”

Sergeant Major Mohammed Mahdi, a rescuer from the Maldives National Defence Force, also died while carrying out a search for the bodies.

Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani offered his condolences to his Maldivian counterpart over the news.

“These days of grief for Italy are exacerbated by the news that one of your brave military, Sergeant Major Mohammed Mahdi, has died while attempting to recover the bodies of our fellow Italians,” Tajani said.

“This tragedy unites Italy and the Maldives in grief and respect for the victims,” he added.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses last year, Sánchez says

EPP considers punishing lawmaker for appearing alongside far-right parties

No, the US hasn’t announced a total withdrawal of troops from Europe

EU cuts 2026 growth forecast as Strait of Hormuz crisis pushes inflation up

Russia delivers nuclear warheads to Belarus as NATO tensions spike

Latvia issues warning to residents after detecting unmanned aerial vehicle in its airspace

Paris nursery abuse probe expands as 16 staff held over extended custody

Naples woken by strong earthquake as tremors hit city

Europe Today: Drones, bunkers and political turmoil: what’s going on in Lithuania?

Editors Picks

Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses last year, Sánchez says

May 21, 2026

‘Historic’ UK trade deal with Gulf states set to add billions to British economy

May 21, 2026

Ahead of the SpaceX IPO, a look at the biggest stock market debuts ever

May 21, 2026

Greece opens laser ground station as Europe races to strengthen satellite links

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

US strengthens Greenland presence with new consulate – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

EPP considers punishing lawmaker for appearing alongside far-right parties

May 21, 2026

Video. Intensifying heat wave grips northern India as temperatures near 48°C

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.