Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Another eclipse over Spain on 28 August: where and how to see the Moon almost completely covered

August 22, 2026

Metsola pays tribute to ex-EU Commissioner Kallas, after daughter Kaja Kallas announces father’s death

August 22, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Evening

August 22, 2026

Poland: Man who ordered 300 pizzas in food-delivery pranks faces up to eight years in prison

August 22, 2026

France to ramp up Ukraine support, says Macron – POLITICO

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Business
Business

Lucky Strike maker BAT to axe 5,500 jobs worldwide in €695m cost drive

By staffJune 29, 20262 Mins Read
Lucky Strike maker BAT to axe 5,500 jobs worldwide in €695m cost drive
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
29/06/2026 – 15:10 GMT+2

British American Tobacco (BAT), the London-listed maker of Lucky Strike and Dunhill, said on Monday that it will cut 5,500 jobs worldwide.

BAT also stated the overhaul would also see around 3,500 positions outsourced to third parties, with the two measures together touching roughly 9,000 staff, close to a fifth of its 47,000 workers.

According to AFP, the company is aiming to save £600 million (€695m) a year by 2028.

The restructuring reaches across BAT’s operations worldwide but spares the US, its single largest market, which is run through its Reynolds American subsidiary.

Like its rivals, BAT is grappling with the steady decline of traditional smoking in its established markets, as health concerns and tighter regulation reduce the number of cigarette buyers.

The company has pinned its future on what it calls “smokeless” products, the Vuse vaping brand, glo heated-tobacco devices and Velo nicotine pouches, and has set itself a target of drawing half its revenue from these newer lines by 2035.

However, that transition has not been smooth.

In the US, the rollout of new nicotine products has been held up by a lengthy regulatory approval process, constraining sales in the market that matters most to the group.

Technology, costs and confirmed cuts

CEO Tadeu Marroco framed the cuts as part of building what he described as a more agile, cost-disciplined and technology-enabled company, adding that BAT was committed to supporting affected staff through the change with care and respect.

The savings target announced comes on top of £500 million (€580m) in cuts the company had already pencilled in for 2027, and part of the outsourced work is set to go to consulting firm Accenture.

Investors gave the news a muted reception, with BAT shares slipping around 2.5% halfway through London’s Monday trading session.

Analysts at Barclays noted that while the productivity drive had been signalled earlier in the year, the sheer scale of the reductions could still catch the market off guard.

The move drew a wider warning from Russ Mould, investment director at AJ Bell, who said BAT was the latest company to lean harder on technology to run its operations and launch products faster.

The scale of the cutbacks, Mould cautioned, was “a sign of the times” and a worrying signal for the wider jobs market.

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

EDF authorised to prepare site for two new nuclear reactors at Gravelines plant

Five charts explaining America’s $40 trillion debt

Bessent vows bigger buybacks after bond yields erased the US Treasury’s relief rally

Takeover shield: Monte dei Paschi bids for BPM, Generali to forge €80bn Italian bank

Portugal’s pension surplus is an illusion, new report warns

Gold and silver surge in August as mounting US debt fears rattle markets

US debt tops $40 trillion as Treasury doubles bond buybacks to calm markets

Europe’s gas prices have doubled, with the worst yet to come

Oil rises as markets rebound on US Treasury debt buyback plan

Editors Picks

Metsola pays tribute to ex-EU Commissioner Kallas, after daughter Kaja Kallas announces father’s death

August 22, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Evening

August 22, 2026

Poland: Man who ordered 300 pizzas in food-delivery pranks faces up to eight years in prison

August 22, 2026

France to ramp up Ukraine support, says Macron – POLITICO

August 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

EDF authorised to prepare site for two new nuclear reactors at Gravelines plant

August 22, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Midday

August 22, 2026

Leo XIV in San Marino and Rimini: peace message and CL reunion

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.