Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

February 21, 2026

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

EU doesn’t need all 27 to move forward on reforms – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Dozens of countries steer clear of safety commitment in global AI pledge – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Fico threatens to cut Ukraine’s emergency power over oil transit dispute – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Culture
Culture

‘La Casa dei Grifi’: Inside one of Rome’s most ancient homes

By staffFebruary 1, 20262 Mins Read
‘La Casa dei Grifi’: Inside one of Rome’s most ancient homes
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
01/02/2026 – 8:14 GMT+1

Long closed to visitors and only known to researchers, “La Casa dei Grifi” is a Republican-era residence located on the Palatine Hill, at the heart of ancient Rome. For decades, the domus has remained inaccessible due to its fragile condition and the challenges linked to conservation.

But that is set to change next month as the house, which dates back to between the late second and the mid-first century BC, will finally welcome visitors.

According to Paola Quaranta, archaeologist and site manager of the Palatine Hill and the Colosseum, the site is exceptional both for its age and its state of preservation.

“This is the oldest Republican-era house in Rome documented so far,” she said, stressing that what makes it unique is “the level of decoration that has survived, on both the floors and the walls.” As a result, she added, the domus offers “a direct window into daily life in the Republican period, in a way we don’t really have elsewhere.”

The conservation project, like many others in the area, was made possible thanks to funding from the EU’s post-Covid recovery fund.

Rather than allowing direct physical access, visitors will be able to explore the site through a remotely accessible, real-time guided experience.

This approach allows the public to discover the site while ensuring the protection of its remains, a solution designed to preserve artefacts that have survived for centuries.

Quaranta explained that the project was conceived with the goal of “full access for everyone.” This includes experiencing the domus and its frescoes through multimedia and immersive tools, which help recreate what the house would have looked like when it was still lived in.

A physical visit, however, is not currently possible. “Not only for conservation reasons,” she said, “but also because the only access is a very steep, original staircase”.

After centuries, the doors of this luxurious, multi-level residence, believed to have once belonged to a wealthy Roman senator are reopening, offering a rare and vivid glimpse into daily life in ancient Rome.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Food for friends: Thai food finds a home in Doha’s multicultural dining scene

How Rap and Hip-Hop are transforming the French and their everyday language

Beyond borders: How two Central Asia nations are expanding cultural connections

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

Euronews Culture’s Film of the Week: ‘Orwell: 2+2=5’

Britain’s Royal Shakespeare Company set to stage Game of Thrones prequel

Chart-topping French rapper Naps sentenced to seven years for hotel rape incident

The Madrid Codices: Leonardo da Vinci’s treasure trove digitised by Spain’s National Library

White House hits back at ‘loser’ Bruce Springsteen as he announces politically charged US tour

Editors Picks

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

EU doesn’t need all 27 to move forward on reforms – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Dozens of countries steer clear of safety commitment in global AI pledge – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Fico threatens to cut Ukraine’s emergency power over oil transit dispute – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 21st, 2026 – Midday

February 21, 2026

Video. Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch

February 21, 2026

Why Germany’s conservatives can’t get over Angela Merkel – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.