Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

‘Associate membership’ risks leaving Ukraine in limbo, Ireland warns after Merz pitches bold plan

May 22, 2026

Czech president admits rocky relationship with PM – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Despite ‘chaotic communication’ Polish aide says Trump is committed to troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Fact-check: No, ‘claqueurs’ did not applaud Merkel at European Parliament

May 22, 2026

Video. USA: MomoCon in Atlanta unites 65,000 fans for a huge geek culture fest

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Culture
Culture

Top chef René Redzepi leaves Noma restaurant over abuse and assault allegations

By staffMarch 12, 20263 Mins Read
Top chef René Redzepi leaves Noma restaurant over abuse and assault allegations
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on 12/03/2026 – 13:58 GMT+1•Updated
14:03

Danish chef René Redzepi, co-founder of Noma, the highly-acclaimed restaurant, has resigned from the firm following allegations he’s abused and mistreated staff for years.

It comes after corporate backers pulled out from sponsoring the Los Angeles Noma pop-restaurant which opened on Wednesday. Redzepi was due to head operations at the establishment with a meal will cost around €1,500.

In a post on Instagram, Redzepi, the “New Nordic” cuisine innovator said: “After more than two decades of building and leading this restaurant, I’ve decided to step away.”

“I have worked to be a better leader and Noma has taken big steps to transform the culture over many years,” Redzepi said in a video that showed him apologising to staff. “I recognise these changes do not repair the past,” the 48-year-old said. “An apology is not enough. I take responsibility for my own actions.”

“I was not able to handle the pressure, small mistakes could feel enormous to me, and I reacted in ways that I regret deeply today,” added Redzepi.

Redzepi also said the LA project would continue without him and praised its current team as the “strongest” that it had ever been.

A history of violence

Last month, Jason Ignacio White, the former head of Noma’s fermentation lab, began posting about abuse he had witnessed.

He also relayed stories sent to him by other former employees.

“Noma is not a story of innovation. It is a story of a maniac that would breed culture of fear, abuse & exploitation,” White said on social media.

His posts sparked protests online and at the restaurant’s opening.

Last weekend, The New York Times also published an extensive story containing several witness accounts of mistreatment, including punches thrown and public shaming, at the three Michelin star Noma in Copenhagen.

Redzepi has been dogged for years by reports of mistreatment of his staff as well as his years-long use of unpaid interns to staff the pricy restaurant, which topped Restaurant magazine’s World’s 50 Best Restaurants List five times between 2010 and 2021.

Campaigners in LA, who’ve vowed to continue their protests for fair and living wages, say stories of surviving physical and mental abuse at the posh Copenhagen establishment have been well known for years but such incidents are widely seen as a ‘rite of passage’ within kitchen culture at all levels of the industry.

Video editor • Yolaine De Kerchove Dexaerde

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

‘Zapper Bolloré’: Hollywood stars join petition against billionaire Bolloré

Netflix’s ‘Emily in Paris’ is ending after six seasons… And it’s for the best

Enthusiasts recreate iconic ‘death of Sherlock Holmes’ at Reichenbach Falls in the Swiss Alps

‘A mythological story’: Lupita Nyong’o responds to racist backlash over ‘The Odyssey’ role

Jewish raid in Paris: Missing photos finally give victims of the Nazi era a face

Video. Watch: Emotional scenes for Stephen Colbert’s final ‘Late Show’

Rosalía, Lily Allen and CMAT triumph at Ivor Novello songwriting awards

‘Zapper Bolloré’: Hollywood stars join petition against billionaire

Danger in the deep: Prehistoric predators emerge at London’s Natural History Museum

Editors Picks

Czech president admits rocky relationship with PM – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Despite ‘chaotic communication’ Polish aide says Trump is committed to troops in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Fact-check: No, ‘claqueurs’ did not applaud Merkel at European Parliament

May 22, 2026

Video. USA: MomoCon in Atlanta unites 65,000 fans for a huge geek culture fest

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

From rolling clothes to shoe hacks: The packing tips travel experts swear by

May 22, 2026

‘Zapper Bolloré’: Hollywood stars join petition against billionaire Bolloré

May 22, 2026

Tony Blair’s consultancy doubles down on AI and restructures in Europe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.