Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says ‘shut until US changes’

August 23, 2026

ECB head Christine Lagarde ‘ready to serve’ WEF, report says

August 23, 2026

Elections would ‘tear Ukraine apart’ – POLITICO

August 23, 2026

From Middle East to e-sports: Macron hosts Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

August 23, 2026

Chinese humanoid robot beats Bolt’s 100-metre world record time

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Iran executes two men over alleged mosque attack as crackdown deepens

By staffJune 1, 20263 Mins Read
Iran executes two men over alleged mosque attack as crackdown deepens
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By&nbspEuronews Persian

Published on 01/06/2026 – 11:28 GMT+2•Updated
11:29

Iran executed two men convicted of attacking a place of worship during the January protests on Monday, the judiciary-affiliated Mizan News Agency reported, as Amnesty International said at least 39 political executions had been carried out since the war began in February.

Mehrdad Mohammadi-Nia and Ashkan Maleki were executed after the Supreme Court upheld their sentences. Iranian authorities said they were among the main perpetrators of an attack on the Jafari Mosque in Tehran’s Gisha neighbourhood during protests that erupted in December 2025 and January of this year.

The judiciary said the two were convicted of setting fire to the mosque, damaging public property, clashing with security forces, blocking roads and activities against national security, and ordered the confiscation of their assets.

The specific capital charge under which they were sentenced was not stated in the judiciary’s announcement.

The January protests began in late December 2025 following the collapse of the country’s currency, the rial, and rapidly spread to nearly all Iranian cities.

Security forces killed thousands of people during a crackdown on 8 and 9 January.

Iran’s own Supreme Council of National Security acknowledged a death toll of more than 3,000. The UN Special Rapporteur on Iran put the figure at a minimum of 5,000, while various humanitarian groups and insiders in Iran have estimated that the death toll might have reached as many as 42,000.

The Islamic Republic imposed a strict internet blackout on 8 January, making it nearly impossible to verify claims.

Amnesty International said in a report published last Thursday that Iranian authorities had arrested more than 6,000 people since the start of the war — including protesters, journalists, lawyers and human rights defenders.

The organisation said authorities had accelerated prosecutions, including capital cases, and documented enforced disappearances, torture, forced confessions and unfair trials. It said at least 39 political executions had been carried out during the same period.

The figure covers executions linked to the country-wide protests and the Iran war, as Tehran’s overall execution rate is far higher. Amnesty’s most recent annual report recorded at least 2,159 executions in Iran in 2025 — the highest figure for any country and the majority of 2,700 executions documented worldwide that year.

Human rights organisations have also raised concerns about the treatment of detainees arrested during the January protests, many of whom continue to face political and security-related charges.

Iran has consistently rejected international criticism of its judicial proceedings, saying those executed were convicted of serious crimes following due process.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says ‘shut until US changes’

Chinese humanoid robot beats Bolt’s 100-metre world record time

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Midday

Indian Coast Guard launches search and rescue operation after cargo vessel sinks in Bay of Bengal

Canadian PM Carney says new US tariffs are ‘designed to hurt us and divide us’

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Morning

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Evening

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Midday

White House ballroom will cost nearly $400m as Supreme Court allows work to continue

Editors Picks

ECB head Christine Lagarde ‘ready to serve’ WEF, report says

August 23, 2026

Elections would ‘tear Ukraine apart’ – POLITICO

August 23, 2026

From Middle East to e-sports: Macron hosts Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

August 23, 2026

Chinese humanoid robot beats Bolt’s 100-metre world record time

August 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Midday

August 23, 2026

Extreme weather hits Europe as wildfires, floods and storms force thousands to evacuate

August 23, 2026

What is ‘farmear aura’? Viral street battles born on TikTok

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.