Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 22nd, 2026 – Midday

February 22, 2026

Arab and Islamic states protest US Ambassador to Israel’s remarks on Israel land expansion

February 22, 2026

Wer gewinnt Rheinland-Pfalz? Alexander Schweitzer im Gespräch – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

February 22, 2026

Trump says he’s sending hospital ship to Greenland – POLITICO

February 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Culture
Culture

Goodbye TV, hello streaming: The Oscars will move to YouTube in 2029

By staffDecember 18, 20252 Mins Read
Goodbye TV, hello streaming: The Oscars will move to YouTube in 2029
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
18/12/2025 – 9:00 GMT+1

It’s a seismic shift for one of television’s marquee events… The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced has announced that the Oscars will leave ABC and begin streaming on YouTube beginning in 2029, with YouTube gaining the exclusive global rights until 2033.

ABC will continue to broadcast the annual ceremony through 2028 – the year that will mark the 100th Oscars.

The annual film awards will be available to the Google-owned video-sharing platform’s two billion users for free around the world – in a move that effectively does away with broadcast television.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

“We are thrilled to enter into a multifaceted global partnership with YouTube to be the future home of the Oscars and our year-round Academy programming,” said academy chief executive Bill Kramer and academy president Lynette Howell Taylor.

“The Academy is an international organization, and this partnership will allow us to expand access to the work of the Academy to the largest worldwide audience possible – which will be beneficial for our Academy members and the film community.”

“The Oscars are one of our essential cultural institutions, honoring excellence in storytelling and artistry,” said Neal Mohan, chief executive of YouTube. “Partnering with the academy to bring this celebration of art and entertainment to viewers all over the world will inspire a new generation of creativity and film lovers while staying true to the Oscars’ storied legacy.”

The Walt Disney Co.-owned ABC has been the broadcast home to the Oscars for almost its entire history. NBC first televised the Oscars in 1953, but ABC picked up the rights in 1961. Aside from a period between 1971 and 1975, when NBC again aired the show, the Oscars have been on ABC.

“ABC has been the proud home to The Oscars for more than half a century,” the network said in a statement. “We look forward to the next three telecasts, including the show’s centennial celebration in 2028, and wish the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences continued success.”

Last year’s Academy Awards were watched by 19.7 million viewers on ABC, a five-year high but far below the show’s biggest audience of 57 million in 1998.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Berlin Film Festival: Yellow Letters wins the Golden Bear award 2026

Food for friends: Thai food finds a home in Doha’s multicultural dining scene

How Rap and Hip-Hop are transforming the French and their everyday language

Beyond borders: How two Central Asia nations are expanding cultural connections

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

Euronews Culture’s Film of the Week: ‘Orwell: 2+2=5’

Britain’s Royal Shakespeare Company set to stage Game of Thrones prequel

Chart-topping French rapper Naps sentenced to seven years for hotel rape incident

The Madrid Codices: Leonardo da Vinci’s treasure trove digitised by Spain’s National Library

Editors Picks

Arab and Islamic states protest US Ambassador to Israel’s remarks on Israel land expansion

February 22, 2026

Wer gewinnt Rheinland-Pfalz? Alexander Schweitzer im Gespräch – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

February 22, 2026

Trump says he’s sending hospital ship to Greenland – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Berlin Film Festival: Yellow Letters wins the Golden Bear award 2026

February 21, 2026

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026

Meloni and Macron postpone their first high-level summit – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.