Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Boris Johnson lobbied Donald Trump to block UK’s Chagos Islands deal – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

EU’s €90B plan to fund Ukraine in jeopardy as Hungary blocks deal – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

As Trump’s tariffs are struck down, EU urges trade stability – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

February 20, 2026

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

EU’s €90B plan to fund Ukraine in jeopardy as Hungary blocks deal – POLITICO

By staffFebruary 20, 20262 Mins Read
EU’s €90B plan to fund Ukraine in jeopardy as Hungary blocks deal – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Hungary’s threat to veto the loan is a major setback for Ukraine, whose coffers will begin running low on cash from April. Kyiv will struggle to sustain its war effort without fresh funds, leaving it at a disadvantage in ongoing peace talks with Russia.

The first signs of trouble began earlier in the day on Friday. Hungary’s ambassador to the EU demanded that its national assembly get the standard eight weeks to scrutinize EU legislation during a meeting of envoys in Brussels, three EU diplomats told POLITICO.

EU ambassadors were set to give their final approval for the loan ahead of Tuesday, which marks the four-year anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

In a fresh confrontation with Kyiv, Orbán is accusing the war-torn country of halting Russian gas to Hungary for political reasons. Ukraine rejects these claims, arguing that Russian strikes have damaged the energy infrastructure.

The European Commission convened an emergency meeting earlier this week to solve the dispute over the Druzhba pipeline after Hungary and Slovakia retaliated by halting diesel supplies to Ukraine.

EU leaders, including Orbán, agreed to the €90 billion loan in December following months of fraught negotiations. In a major concession, the EU exempted Hungary, Slovakia and Czechia ― who oppose giving further aid to Kyiv ― from repaying the borrowing costs of the loan.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Boris Johnson lobbied Donald Trump to block UK’s Chagos Islands deal – POLITICO

As Trump’s tariffs are struck down, EU urges trade stability – POLITICO

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

UK says privileged trading terms with US will ‘continue’ in wake of Trump tariff ruling – POLITICO

Qatargate probe to continue after judges dismiss claims case was mishandled – POLITICO

5 NATO allies agree to produce low-cost drones – POLITICO

Swedish MP warns country to be less like Tottenham Hotspur – POLITICO

Missing stars, traffic chaos and robo-dog controversy – POLITICO

Editors Picks

EU’s €90B plan to fund Ukraine in jeopardy as Hungary blocks deal – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

As Trump’s tariffs are struck down, EU urges trade stability – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

February 20, 2026

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

German leader Friedrich Merz will visit China next week to deepen trade and cooperation

February 20, 2026

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

February 20, 2026

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.