Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

May 22, 2026

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

May 22, 2026

Video. Lebanon rescuers search rubble after attacks in Tyre province

May 22, 2026

Putin is testing European leaders – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Netanyahu speaks out after video shows minister taunting activists

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

Cyprus slams UK after Akrotiri drone strike forced locals to flee – POLITICO

By staffMarch 2, 20262 Mins Read
Cyprus slams UK after Akrotiri drone strike forced locals to flee – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A Shahed-type unmanned aerial vehicle hit Britain’s Royal Air Force base at Akrotiri in Cyprus just after midnight Monday, while more drone strikes targeting the base were successfully intercepted during the day.

While the source of the drone strike is so far unconfirmed, with local media saying it probably came from Lebanon, a senior commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has threatened intensified missile strikes on Cyprus, alleging an increased U.S. military presence on the island.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Monday: “Our bases in Cyprus are not being used by U.S. bombers … The security of our friends and partners in Cyprus is of critical importance. And I want to be clear, the strike on Akrotiri in Cyprus was not in response to any decision we’ve taken. In our assessment the drone was launched prior to our announcement.”

Locals in Akrotiri and the nearby villages woke up to sirens blaring during the night and fled the area, with some seeking refuge in Limassol or at Cypriot army barracks. Local media described the confusion of not knowing whether to stay or leave, fearing for their own and their children’s safety. The area will remain evacuated on Monday, and there will be a new assessment of the situation on Tuesday.

“All necessary steps will be taken to communicate our dissatisfaction, both with the way this message was communicated and the fact that yesterday there was no timely warning to citizens of Cyprus living near the Akrotiri bases,” Letymbiotis noted, adding that Cyprus will make a formal diplomatic complaint on Monday.

Asked whether Cyprus, which currently holds the rotating presidency of the EU Council, will seek to renegotiate the status of the bases, Letymbiotis said “in this context, we are not ruling anything out.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

Putin is testing European leaders – POLITICO

NATO allies downplay US troop withdrawals – POLITICO

The looming crisis putting Europe’s energy security at risk  – POLITICO

Serbia’s Brnabić condemns EU double standards on enlargement – POLITICO

A Bruxelles, l’équipe chargée de la simplification découvre que ce n’est pas si simple – POLITICO

Member countries call on EU to sanction Israel’s Ben-Gvir over flotilla taunts – POLITICO

Comment Brigitte Macron a sauvé un million d’euros pour l’Institut français de la mode

Warum Deutschland sich selbst bremst – POLITICO

Editors Picks

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

May 22, 2026

Video. Lebanon rescuers search rubble after attacks in Tyre province

May 22, 2026

Putin is testing European leaders – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Netanyahu speaks out after video shows minister taunting activists

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

NATO allies downplay US troop withdrawals – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Trump envoy says US should restore its ‘footprint’ in Greenland

May 22, 2026

The looming crisis putting Europe’s energy security at risk  – POLITICO

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.