Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

EU-backed electricity link to Cyprus stalls amid regional tensions

August 19, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Morning

August 19, 2026

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

August 19, 2026

Climate change is cooking Europe’s oceans, scientists find – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Snakes on a campaign! When animals attack politicians – POLITICO

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Beijing slams US comments on Tiananmen Square crackdown as ‘smear’ of China

By staffJune 4, 20263 Mins Read
Beijing slams US comments on Tiananmen Square crackdown as ‘smear’ of China
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

China accused the United States on Thursday of distorting facts and smearing its political system, after Secretary of State Marco Rubio said censorship could not “erase” the memory of Beijing’s crackdown on Tiananmen Square protesters.

On 4 June 1989, the Chinese government sent troops and tanks to crush protests calling for political reform in and around the central square in the capital Beijing.

The death toll remains unknown and discussion of what happened is censored in mainland China.

Rubio said at a news conference on Wednesday that “no amount of censorship can erase the past.”

“Those who sacrificed to uphold their unalienable rights of free expression and peaceful assembly will be vindicated someday,” he said.

China’s foreign ministry said on Thursday it firmly opposed Rubio’s comments.

“The Chinese government has long since reached a clear conclusion regarding that political turmoil that occurred in the late 1980s,” ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning told a regular news briefing.

“The relevant erroneous remarks by the US side distort historical facts, smear China’s political system and development path, and interfere in China’s internal affairs,” she said.

This year, authorities reportedly prevented the families of those who died in 1989 from visiting their graves at Beijing’s Wan’an Cemetery, with Amnesty International calling the move “a heartless act.”

The Chinese government officially defined the Tiananmen protests at the time as a “counter-revolutionary riot” driven by a “very small number of people”, justifying the use of force as necessary to stop “political turbulence” and restore order.

Authorities said around 200 to 300 people were killed, including soldiers. Other estimates range from between 400 to over 2,000, but the precise toll is unknown.

Hong Kong police presence

Beijing has moved in recent years to snuff out all public commemorations in Hong Kong, where an annual candlelight vigil had been held for decades before the imposition of a national security law in 2020.

As in previous recent years, reporters in the city saw a heavy police presence on both Wednesday and Thursday near Victoria Park, the former site of the event.

Dozens of police officers were deployed, with roadblocks on the streets and plainclothes officers stopped and searched some activists.

Chan Po-Ying, former leader of the disbanded pro-democracy group League of Social Democrats, was led away to a police van.

She was swarmed by reporters as she walked around holding a yellow paper rose, which officers told her to put away.

“What we can do now is very, very little…Victoria Park holds 37 years of Hong Kongers’ collective memory. I hope that we won’t forget this collective memory,” Chan told reporters before she was detained.

Police said seven people, five men and two women, were taken from the area for further investigation, and were later permitted to leave.

Alfred Tian, 29, said he made a special trip from the Chinese mainland to walk around the park and pray for the victims.

“As a Chinese, when you learn that history…I think at first it really strikes you because most Chinese people don’t really know much about it,” he said.

“It’s like a fire in the heart, the pursuit for democracy, for freedom of speech.”

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Morning

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Evening

Video. Italian town carries towering Virgin Mary structure through streets

Video. Champagne harvest starts early in France as heatwave speeds ripening

Ship hit in Hormuz as Iran’s top negotiator says strait to stay shut

Opening statements begin in long-awaited trial almost 30 years after hip-hop star Tupac Shakur was murdered

Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

Editors Picks

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Morning

August 19, 2026

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

August 19, 2026

Climate change is cooking Europe’s oceans, scientists find – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Snakes on a campaign! When animals attack politicians – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Netherlands slams US sanctions on top ICC officials – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

Ousted Ukrainian defense chief Fedorov demands elections in challenge to Zelenskyy – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Firefighters pushing to ‘definitively encircle’ east Belgium wildfire, authorities say

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.