Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

‘Niu Lai’: How is a ‘disaster-level’ Chinese animated film rivalling ‘The Odyssey’ at the box-office?

August 18, 2026

TEST – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

FIFA confirms COO Kevin Lamour ‘has left’ after criticising Infantino’s World Cup plans

August 18, 2026

Shakira and Warren Buffett’s son announce rebuilding of schools in Chocó

August 18, 2026

Risky jumps from France’s Marseille corniche rise in popularity

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Wildfires rage in southern France prompting evacuation of 3,000 people

By staffJuly 2, 20262 Mins Read
Wildfires rage in southern France prompting evacuation of 3,000 people
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Nearly 3,000 people have been evacuated in southern France and water-bombing helicopters deployed to battle wildfires after a record-breaking heatwave last month, officials said on Thursday.

Tourists and local residents had to be moved after a wildfire broke out in the town of Sainte-Marie-la-Mer and spread to Canet-en-Roussillon.

Firefighters said nearly 3,000 people were evacuated with half of them from three campsites in the affected area.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries, said Pierre Regnault de La Mothe, the top regional official for the southern department of Pyrenees-Orientales.

Two hundred firefighters and four water-bombing aircraft were deployed to put out the blazes.

“We are mobilising a large network of volunteers,” said the prefect.

Firefighters were engaged in “a fierce struggle” to prevent the flames from spreading in an industrial zone, he added.

In June, France experienced a record-breaking heatwave which lasted 11 days and saw temperatures climb above 40C in many places.

Apart from having “major impacts” on human health, ecosystems, agriculture, and infrastructure, the extraordinary heatwave worsened the risk of wildfires, the World Meteorological Organisation said last week.

Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said 1,200 firefighters had been mobilised since Wednesday to battle forest fires.

“Weather conditions remain particularly unfavourable,” he said in a post on X.

The Meteo-France weather agency said a new spell of elevated temperatures would hit the country next week, although they are not expected to be extreme like in June.

Plants and vegetation are under severe water stress, adding to the danger of fires, while strong winds are blowing across the Mediterranean region.

Some French politicians have denounced what they call the authorities’ inadequate measures to help France face rising temperatures, and the Greens on Thursday filed a no-confidence motion against the government.

Additional sources • AP, AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

FIFA confirms COO Kevin Lamour ‘has left’ after criticising Infantino’s World Cup plans

Risky jumps from France’s Marseille corniche rise in popularity

Could the EU ban smoking? Commission to re-write rules for the next generation

Hungary opens sluice and sinks barges to protect nuclear plant as Danube levels fall

Norway’s King Harald V hospitalised and placed on sick leave, palace says

Three killed after private helicopter crashes on Greek island of Sifnos

Mount Etna lightning strike kills hiker from the US

Britain’s Reform UK party pledges to strip all foreign nationals of benefits, including EU citizens

Ukraine has hit seven of Russian online retailer Wildberries’ 10 biggest warehouses, military says

Editors Picks

TEST – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

FIFA confirms COO Kevin Lamour ‘has left’ after criticising Infantino’s World Cup plans

August 18, 2026

Shakira and Warren Buffett’s son announce rebuilding of schools in Chocó

August 18, 2026

Risky jumps from France’s Marseille corniche rise in popularity

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Kanye ‘Ye’ West to perform in Russia – a first since invasion of Ukraine in 2022

August 18, 2026

Could the EU ban smoking? Commission to re-write rules for the next generation

August 18, 2026

Opening statements begin in long-awaited trial almost 30 years after hip-hop star Tupac Shakur was murdered

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.