Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Video. Tehran mass wedding turns military vehicles into bridal cars

May 19, 2026

Denmark’s Queen Margrethe out of hospital after heart procedure, royal palace says

May 19, 2026

Video. Fast-moving wildfire spreads through Southern California hills

May 19, 2026

AI bidding wars: The talent making a fortune as Big Tech firms fight it out

May 19, 2026

Deutschland und Frankreich wollen Europas Pharmaindustrie stärken – POLITICO

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Hungary’s Magyar seeks EU funds deal ‘next week’ in Brussels

By staffMay 19, 20263 Mins Read
Hungary’s Magyar seeks EU funds deal ‘next week’ in Brussels
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
19/05/2026 – 11:47 GMT+2

Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar said Tuesday he hopes to sign a political agreement with the European Commission “next week” on the release of EU funds that had been frozen during the previous government.

“Both sides will do everything they can to ensure that next week, when I travel to Brussels, we can sign the political agreement between the Hungarian government and the European Commission, which will allow us to conclude all issues by August 31, despite the hard work and work throughout the summer,” Magyar told reporters at a press conference on Monday evening in Budapest.

“And these many trillions of forints will then arrive in Hungary on schedule, quickly, but on schedule, during the fall,” he added.

Hungary risks losing €10.4bn in recovery funding if it fails to meet the August 31 deadline to unlock the money. The funds had been blocked due to rule-of-law concerns under the ‌Orbán government.Magyar — who is expected to travel to Brussels the following Monday — said technical-level discussions with the European Commission were underway and would continue in the Hungarian capital through Friday.

“The August 31 deadline may not seem like such a short time, but there is a lot to do. Not only do we have to amend and agree on laws, but we also have to transform institutional systems,” Magyar told reporters.

Magyar also said he had exchanged letters with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen regarding outstanding issues. He added that his government would reject some Commission demands related to the phasing out of windfall taxes on the financial and energy sectors.

“There are requests from the Commission regarding the Hungarian budget, which we will not fulfil. Sometimes, by the way, these requests contradict each other. One day they expect us to stabilise the budget, and then they also tell us to phase out some taxes,” Magyar said.

The new Hungarian government is also expected to submit a revised spending plan for the recovery funds before the end of May. Magyar said the previous programme was currently under review, with priority given to projects considered both feasible and genuinely beneficial to the public.

“We obviously want suburban trains, railway renovation, energy-related projects and electricity grid development. Those must be truly useful for Hungarian society and Hungarian companies,” he said.

Magyar also announced that his government was reviewing Hungary’s defence loan request under the EU’s Security Action for Europe (SAFE) programme, the bloc’s main financial instrument for supporting defence preparedness across the European Union.

The previous Orbán government had requested €16bn for defence projects — the highest per-capita amount among SAFE recipients. Magyar said the Orbán government’s intention had been “to put the Hungarian people in debt to fill their crony companies with cash.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Denmark’s Queen Margrethe out of hospital after heart procedure, royal palace says

Washington or Moscow: China’s Xi Jinping hosts Putin days after Trump visit

Europe Today: Energy shock and Russian oil sanctions dominate crunch G7 finance talks

Former Google executive Matt Brittin takes reins at scandal-hit public broadcaster BBC

‘A lot of masculinity in the room’: Kallas argues for greater female participation in diplomacy

EU honours Merkel as stabilizer in nod to Trump-era turbulence

Spain tilts right under Pedro Sánchez despite progressive credentials abroad

Amid growing hantavirus worries, how prepared is Europe for new health threats?

Video. ‘We want to create bridges, not burn them,’ says Finnish Minister

Editors Picks

Denmark’s Queen Margrethe out of hospital after heart procedure, royal palace says

May 19, 2026

Video. Fast-moving wildfire spreads through Southern California hills

May 19, 2026

AI bidding wars: The talent making a fortune as Big Tech firms fight it out

May 19, 2026

Deutschland und Frankreich wollen Europas Pharmaindustrie stärken – POLITICO

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Hungary’s Magyar seeks EU funds deal ‘next week’ in Brussels

May 19, 2026

Video. Swatch fans left frustrated as stores stay closed amid watch frenzy

May 19, 2026

Video. Protest erupts at Venezuela’s Central University after prisoner deaths

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.