Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Belgian soldier dies during NATO exercise in Lithuania – POLITICO

November 30, 2025

War in Ukraine: Volodymyr Zelensky to be received by Emmanuel Macron in Paris on Monday

November 30, 2025

Video. Pope Leo XIV celebrates Mass at the Volkswagen Arena in Turkey

November 30, 2025

Global mobilisation in solidarity with Palestine: Thunberg and Albanese lead march in Rome

November 29, 2025

Video. Ukraine releases video showing moment naval drones striking Russian oil tankers in the Black Sea

November 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

EU reiterates support for Palestinian Authority, but offers no additional money

By staffNovember 21, 20253 Mins Read
EU reiterates support for Palestinian Authority, but offers no additional money
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
21/11/2025 – 10:27 GMT+1

The European Commission has confirmed an €82 million financial contribution to the Palestinian Authority after the first meeting of the Palestine Donor Group in Brussels. But the money had already been pledged by four EU member states: Germany, Luxembourg, Slovenia, and Spain – and despite the Commission’s efforts to engage with non-EU countries, the conference has yielded no other commitments.

The contribution will be channelled through “Pegase”, the Palestinian-European Socio-Economic Management and Assistance Mechanism, which links European disbursement to specific reforms and aims to control the final destination of the money.

The Palestine Donor Group was set up by the Commission to involve EU members and non-EU countries in financing economic recovery and stabilisation efforts in the West Bank.

Over 60 delegations from around the world took part in this week’s meeting, according to EU Commissioner for Mediterranean Dubravka Šuica, but they have failed to produce a concrete pledge of any new funding even though some countries showed interest in the mechanism, which Šuica said is “open to partners’ contributions”.

“Switzerland, New Zealand, Norway, Türkiye, which are not members of the European Union, are looking forward to their pledges to use this mechanism […] which is controlled and assures that money goes in the right place”, she told journalists at a press conference after the meeting.

Asked about the accusations that Palestinian authorities reward the families of Palestinians killed or imprisoned by Israel – an alleged practice that Israeli authorities describe as “pay for slay” – Commissioner Šuica said that “not a single euro of European money has been spent on these contested payments”.

The total amount pledged this year through the Pegase mechanism amounts to more than €88 million when earlier contributions from Finland, Ireland, Italy, and Spain are factored in. The Commission estimates the total EU support given to the Palestinian Authority since 1994 amounts to almost €30 billion.

‘Israel should be held responsible’

The Palestine Donor Group was co-chaired by Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Mustafa, who took the opportunity to condemn Israel’s occupation and what he considers “actions against the Palestinian government”.

Both Mustafa and Commissioner Šuica underlined the importance of releasing tax revenues that Israel collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority, and which it has not transferred to Palestinians since last April.

“No government can sustain reforms if it is denied its own revenues. The current fiscal crisis is politically motivated. Israel’s withholding of Palestinian clearance revenues threatens salaries, service continuity, and stability in both Gaza and in the West”, Mustafa said.

The Palestinian Prime Minister also demanded that Israel be held accountable for war damages in the Gaza Strip.

“Israel should be held responsible for what happened, and they should contribute significantly, if not fully, to repairing the damage and contributing to the reconstruction effort,” he said.

Commissioner Šuica did not express her view on this point, despite being asked by Euronews.

She welcomed the US-led UN Security Council resolution of the Gaza peace plan “as a major step in advancing peace”, although it is not yet clear if the EU will have a seat at the Board of Peace it proposes.

The EU’s broader objective for the region remains a two-state solution for Israel and Palestine.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

EU weighs Plan B for Ukraine as Belgium raises bar to unblock reparations loan

Orbán’s visit to Putin ‘a middle finger’ to the EU and ‘a hostile act’ for Europeans

European interceptor drones are technologically world leaders

EU seeks to exploit nature-based products for competitiveness push, green groups say

Which EU countries have the biggest gender gap when it comes to investment?

No, Europe is not selling ‘anti-rape’ underwear

Europe Today: Ukraine, Órban to meet Putin, Europol and Black Friday

EU lawmakers face backlash over proposed new protections for air passengers

Capping Ukrainian army would ‘pave the road to hell’, former Foreign Minister Kuleba tells Euronews

Editors Picks

War in Ukraine: Volodymyr Zelensky to be received by Emmanuel Macron in Paris on Monday

November 30, 2025

Video. Pope Leo XIV celebrates Mass at the Volkswagen Arena in Turkey

November 30, 2025

Global mobilisation in solidarity with Palestine: Thunberg and Albanese lead march in Rome

November 29, 2025

Video. Ukraine releases video showing moment naval drones striking Russian oil tankers in the Black Sea

November 29, 2025

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

One of Russia’s largest oil terminals suspends operations following drone attack

November 29, 2025

Zelenskyy’s right-hand man vows to fight on frontline after ouster in corruption scandal – POLITICO

November 29, 2025

Russia launches close to 600 drones in overnight attack on Ukraine killing three

November 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2025 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.