Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Everyone’s a winner: Sony World Photography Awards 2026 Open Competition

February 17, 2026

Far right on track for major victory in French Riviera, poll shows – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Eurovision fans rage online over cancellation of 70th anniversary live tour

February 17, 2026

Russia poses ‘serious and concrete’ threat to Sweden’s security, Stockholm warns – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Why the Canadian finance minister is taking an interest in the euro

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

US strikes five more alleged drug boats killing at least eight, Southern Command says

By staffJanuary 1, 20263 Mins Read
US strikes five more alleged drug boats killing at least eight, Southern Command says
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The US military struck five alleged drug-smuggling boats over two days, killing a total of eight people while others jumped overboard and may have survived, US Southern Command said in a social media post on Thursday.

Southern Command, which oversees South America, did not reveal where the attacks on Tuesday and Wednesday occurred.

Previous similar attacks have taken place in the Caribbean Sea and in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

A video of Tuesday’s attack posted by Southern Command on social media shows three boats traveling in a close formation, which is unusual, and the military said they were in a convoy along known narco-trafficking routes and “had transferred narcotics between the three vessels prior to the strikes.”

The military did not provide evidence to back up the claim.

The military said three people were killed when the first boat was struck, while people in the other two boats jumped overboard and distanced themselves from the vessels before they were attacked.

Southern Command said it immediately notified the US Coast Guard to activate search and rescue efforts.

Southern Command’s statement did not say whether those who jumped off the boats were rescued.

Calling in the Coast Guard is notable because the US military drew heavy scrutiny after its forces killed the survivors of an attack in early September with a follow-up strike to their disabled boat.

Some Democratic lawmakers and legal experts said the military committed a crime, while the Trump administration and some Republican lawmakers say the follow-up strike was legal.

US forces attacked two further boats on Wednesday, killing five people who were allegedly smuggling drugs along known trafficking routes, Southern Command said in a separate statement.

It did not provide evidence of the alleged trafficking or reveal the body of water in which the attacks occurred. Videos posted with the statement on social media showed a boat in the water and explosions.

The latest attacks bring the total number of known boat strikes to 35 and the number of people killed to at least 115 since early September, according to numbers announced by the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump has justified the attacks as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs into the United States and asserted that the US is engaged in an “armed conflict” with drug cartels.

Along with the strikes, the Trump administration has built up military forces in the region as part of an escalating pressure campaign on Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who has been charged with narco-terrorism in the United States.

Meanwhile, the CIA was behind a drone strike last week at a docking area believed to have been used by Venezuelan drug cartels, according to two people familiar with details of the operation who requested anonymity to discuss the classified matter.

It was the first known direct operation on Venezuelan soil since the US began strikes in September, a significant escalation in the administration’s pressure campaign against Maduro’s government.

Additional sources • AP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Syria starts evacuating Al-Hol camp housing thousands linked to IS, officials say

France releases suspected Russian ‘shadow fleet’ tanker after ‘several million euro’ fine

Tehran threatens US and closes Hormuz for drills amid nuclear talks

Belgium summons US ambassador in dispute over antisemitism accusations

Cheating row at Winter Olympics challenges curling’s culture of trust

Austria charges man with terrorism over Taylor Swift concert attack plot

Why do Iran and the US choose Switzerland as common ground for talks?

Greece seeks to obtain Nazi execution photos listed for sale on eBay

Hundreds of millions across Asia celebrate the Lunar New Year of the Fire Horse

Editors Picks

Far right on track for major victory in French Riviera, poll shows – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Eurovision fans rage online over cancellation of 70th anniversary live tour

February 17, 2026

Russia poses ‘serious and concrete’ threat to Sweden’s security, Stockholm warns – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Why the Canadian finance minister is taking an interest in the euro

February 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Le marché du carbone européen sous le feu des critiques de l’industrie comme des politiques – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Syria starts evacuating Al-Hol camp housing thousands linked to IS, officials say

February 17, 2026

France releases suspected Russian ‘shadow fleet’ tanker after ‘several million euro’ fine

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.