Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Janša closes in on fourth stint as Slovenia’s prime minister – POLITICO

May 19, 2026

‘Ukraine is paying the highest price to return home to European values,’ Oleksandra Matviichuk says

May 19, 2026

US lawmakers raise alarm over legality of Pentagon’s lethal drug boat strikes

May 19, 2026

Bible bytes: The Pope and Anthropic co-founder join forces on AI ethics

May 19, 2026

Liberals open to a third term for Metsola at helm of EU Parliament – POLITICO

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

US lawmakers raise alarm over legality of Pentagon’s lethal drug boat strikes

By staffMay 19, 20262 Mins Read
US lawmakers raise alarm over legality of Pentagon’s lethal drug boat strikes
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on 19/05/2026 – 15:25 GMT+2•Updated
15:29

The United States Department of Defence’s internal watchdog has launched a formal evaluation into lethal strikes conducted by US Southern Command against suspected drug-smuggling vessels.

The announcement follows intense bipartisan criticism regarding the legality of the operations.

The probe, announced on Monday by the Pentagon’s Office of the Inspector General (OIG), will scrutinise “Operation Southern Spear,” a controversial military campaign launched in late 2025 aimed at dismantling maritime drug trafficking routes in the Caribbean and Pacific.

According to Pentagon data, the campaign has resulted in the destruction of 59 vessels and the deaths of 193 people since its inception last autumn.

The Trump administration launched the operation with the declared aims of “detecting, disrupting, and degrading transnational criminal and illicit maritime networks.”

Both Democratic and Republican lawmakers have questioned whether the military has the legal authority to use lethal force against civilian-style vessels in international waters outside of a declared theatre of war.

Last month, the US Southern Command doubled down on the strikes despite the rising pushback.

Its commander, General Francis L. Donovan, said: “Joint Task Force Southern Spear continues to conduct decisive operations to detect, disrupt, and dismantle narco-terrorist networks. In support of the President’s directives, the U.S. Coast Guard’s Maritime Security Response Team, accompanied by U.S. Marine Corps Special Purpose Forces, continue to support maritime interdiction operations to target the dark fleet that is enabling U.S. adversaries across the globe.”

The OIG told Euronews in an email that the scope of the evaluation includes the joint process for targeted vessels in the US Southern Command area of responsibility as part of Operation Southern Spear and that the project was self-initiated based on the OIG’s ongoing assessment of Pentagon programmes and operations.

The deadly strikes have marked a stark shift in the US approach to drug trafficking, which has historically focused on interdicting vessels and seizing the material.

The US military, to date, has not provided any evidence that any of the vessels targeted were carrying drugs.

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Tehran mass wedding turns military vehicles into bridal cars

Video. Fast-moving wildfire spreads through Southern California hills

Video. Swatch fans left frustrated as stores stay closed amid watch frenzy

Video. Protest erupts at Venezuela’s Central University after prisoner deaths

Video. Teargas fired as protests erupt over rising fuel prices in Kenya

Belarus stages nuclear drills with Russia as Kyiv warns of new offensive

Lebanese president vows to ‘do the impossible’ to end war with Israel as strikes continue despite ceasefire

Video. Aerial footage captures police surrounding San Diego Islamic center after shooting reports

Trump: I called off attack on Iran planned for Tuesday

Editors Picks

‘Ukraine is paying the highest price to return home to European values,’ Oleksandra Matviichuk says

May 19, 2026

US lawmakers raise alarm over legality of Pentagon’s lethal drug boat strikes

May 19, 2026

Bible bytes: The Pope and Anthropic co-founder join forces on AI ethics

May 19, 2026

Liberals open to a third term for Metsola at helm of EU Parliament – POLITICO

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Viral posts falsely claim Eurovision winner was secretly bought

May 19, 2026

PlayStation Plus price hikes spark backlash from gamers as Sony raises subscription

May 19, 2026

With Orbán gone, EU looks to extend sanctions renewal deadline – POLITICO

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.