Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Airbus posts record year — but Washington still prefers the Boeing ‘home’ team

February 19, 2026

Time to convince Berlin on EU debt – POLITICO

February 19, 2026

France says Commission lacks ‘mandate’ to join Board of Peace meeting as Brussels remains defiant

February 19, 2026

Azerbaijan’s homegrown robots step up humanitarian mine clearance

February 19, 2026

Poland urges citizens to leave Iran as Trump menaces Tehran – POLITICO

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

UK to ‘pause for thought’ on Chagos Islands deal after Trump blast – POLITICO

By staffFebruary 19, 20262 Mins Read
UK to ‘pause for thought’ on Chagos Islands deal after Trump blast – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Ministers had already put the British Indian Ocean Territory (Sovereignty and Constitutional Arrangements) Bill on hold at the 11th-hour last month after the president called the deal — which Britain believed it had squared with Washington — an “act of GREAT STUPIDITY.”

They feared a Conservative “wrecking” amendment could succeed amid intense lobbying to overturn the agreement. The deal, which gives Mauritius control of former British imperial possession, was intended to shore up the use of a U.S.-U.K. military base on Diego Garcia through a lease agreement, while shielding the U.K. from international legal action over the islands’ fate.

The legislation was being lined up to return to the upper chamber as soon as next week after the U.S. State Department gave official backing to the deal in a statement on Tuesday, the senior official quoted above said.

But that official confirmed Thursday there will now be a rethink.

The U.S. president took to his Truth Social platform Wednesday to argue Starmer is “making a big mistake” with a “tenuous, at best” leasing back of Diego Garcia.

“This land should not be taken away from the U.K. and, if it is allowed to be, it will be a blight on our Great Ally,” Trump wrote. “We will always be ready, willing, and able to fight for the U.K., but they have to remain strong in the face of Wokeism, and other problems put before them. DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!”

Speaking to Sky News on Thursday, U.K. minister Alex Davies-Jones insisted the government would not be changing course despite Trump’s latest attack, and said: “We will be bringing this bill back as soon as parliamentary time allows, because it is a vital and crucial asset for national security.”

Opposition politicians in both the U.K. Conservative Party and Nigel Farage’s Reform UK have been lobbying the administration against the plans. Trump also argued that the base in the Indo-Pacific would be important in defending against Iran if negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear program are not fruitful.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Time to convince Berlin on EU debt – POLITICO

Poland urges citizens to leave Iran as Trump menaces Tehran – POLITICO

Low risk of exposure to baby milk toxin: EU authorities – POLITICO

Macron calls on political extremes to clean house after activist’s killing – POLITICO

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested, BBC reports – POLITICO

US presses NATO for major reset, ending mission in Iraq – POLITICO

Future of AI should not be decided by ‘a few billionaires,’ UN boss warns

Testing Trump’s Board of Peace – POLITICO

Wie Trump mit dem Friedensrat die Uno entmachten will – POLITICO

Editors Picks

Time to convince Berlin on EU debt – POLITICO

February 19, 2026

France says Commission lacks ‘mandate’ to join Board of Peace meeting as Brussels remains defiant

February 19, 2026

Azerbaijan’s homegrown robots step up humanitarian mine clearance

February 19, 2026

Poland urges citizens to leave Iran as Trump menaces Tehran – POLITICO

February 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

EU calls emergency meeting over Hungary and Slovakia’s energy standoff with Ukraine

February 19, 2026

Italian broadcaster’s sports chief quits after series of Olympics on-air gaffes

February 19, 2026

Low risk of exposure to baby milk toxin: EU authorities – POLITICO

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.