Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Berlin Film Festival: Yellow Letters wins the Golden Bear award 2026

February 21, 2026

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026

Meloni and Macron postpone their first high-level summit – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

February 21, 2026

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

By staffFebruary 21, 20264 Mins Read
Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
By&nbspOmid Lahabi&nbsp&&nbspAlexander Kazakevich&nbspwith&nbspAP

Published on 21/02/2026 – 20:56 GMT+1•Updated
20:58

Around 3,200 people took part in a demonstration led by far-right groups on Saturday, following the death of a nationalist activist who was beaten in the French city of Lyon.

French President Emmanuel Macron called for calm ahead of the tribute to Quentin Deranque, 23, who died of brain injuries in a hospital last week. The demonstrations took place under heavy police scrutiny, with no major incidents reported.

The mayor of the 7th arrondissement neighbourhood, Fanny Dubot, told Euronews that security had been stepped up at potentially threatened locations, such as an LGBT bar and a mosque.

“This is a moment of remembrance and respect for this young compatriot who was killed, for his family and loved ones. That must come first. And then it is a moment of firmness and responsibility,” Macron said.

Seven people have been handed preliminary charges. The Lyon public prosecutor’s office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused were charged on all three counts. The seventh was charged with complicity in intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy.

Deranque was attacked during a fight that erupted between far-left and far-right supporters on the margins of a student meeting where a far-left lawmaker, Rima Hassan, was a keynote speaker.

Macron said he will hold a meeting with ministers next week to carry out a comprehensive review of all violent activist groups that have links to political parties. He hinted that some groups could be dismantled.

“In the republic, no violence is legitimate,” he said. “There is no place for militias, wherever they come from. We must be absolutely uncompromising.”

Lyon emerges as a battleground

The main tribute to Deranque took place in Lyon, where clashes between far-right activists and far-left groups have become frequent. Their fighting often takes the form of organized street battles in the city, sometimes involving groups of several dozen people.

Lyon’s far-left-leaning militant groups are more recent and were created in reaction to the many far-right groups that have been present for several decades. The city is seen by intelligence services as the cradle of far-right activism in France.

Deranque’s parents also called for calm and did not take part in the tribute, which was not banned by French authorities.

Deranque’s death triggered a storm of recriminations, mostly blaming the far-left France Unbowed party and its leader, Jean-Luc Mélenchon. Among the suspects is the parliamentary aide of a France Unbowed lawmaker who set up the anti-fascist group The Young Guard.

There was a minute’s silence before the start of the march. Some demonstrators held white tulips and displayed stickers bearing the slogan: “Quentin, killed by Mélenchon’s militia.”

Many men dressed in black, some with their faces partially covered, joined the march. Christian Petiteau, 70, who traveled from the neighboring Isère region, said Deranque was “cowardly murdered” and that he came to honor his memory.

Far-left in focus

France Unbowed’s opponents accuse it of fomenting violence and tensions with its combative far-left politics. Mélenchon has condemned the violence and insisted that his party bore no blame for the tragedy.

Mélenchon stood for the presidency in 2012, 2017 and 2022, but failed to advance to the decisive runoff round. He is preparing for another expected run next year, when Macron’s second and last term ends.

France is holding municipal elections next month and right-wing political forces have been using the incident to demonize France Unbowed. Far-right National Rally leader Jordan Bardella has called for a common front against Mélenchon’s party.

Criticism also came from prominent figures on the left, including former French President François Hollande. He said the mainstream left, including his Socialist Party, must not team up again with Mélenchon’s party for the upcoming elections, as they did in the past.

Video editor • Rory Elliott Armstrong

Additional sources • Omid Lhabi

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 21st, 2026 – Midday

Video. Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

Tehran accused of mass arrests, torture and executions after protests

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 20th, 2026 – Midday

Video. From Milano Cortina to Dakar 2026: Olympic mascots Tina and Ayo share the stage

Video. Humanoid robots dance into Beijing’s Lunar New Year celebrations

Trump warns of ‘bad things’ if Iran doesn’t make a deal as US ramps up military presence

Editors Picks

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026

Meloni and Macron postpone their first high-level summit – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

February 21, 2026

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

EU doesn’t need all 27 to move forward on reforms – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Dozens of countries steer clear of safety commitment in global AI pledge – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Fico threatens to cut Ukraine’s emergency power over oil transit dispute – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.