Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Who is Ahmad Vahidi, Interpol-wanted IRGC general and key Iranian war strategist?

May 21, 2026

Merz’s plan of ‘associate EU membership’ for Ukraine gets mixed reviews

May 21, 2026

Israel says all Gaza flotilla activists have been deported amid global outrage over their treatment

May 21, 2026

Stellantis to launch 60 new models by 2030: electric car made in Pomigliano

May 21, 2026

Warum Deutschland sich selbst bremst – POLITICO

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

‘Nobody can pressure me,’ European Parliament trade chief tells Euronews

By staffFebruary 26, 20263 Mins Read
‘Nobody can pressure me,’ European Parliament trade chief tells Euronews
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on 26/02/2026 – 9:24 GMT+1•Updated
9:56

German MEP Bernd Lange (S&D) made clear Thursday he would not bow to pressure to salvage the EU-US trade deal, arguing Washington has already broken it following last week’s Supreme Court ruling and President Donald Trump’s fresh tariff salvo.

“Nobody can pressure me. I’m a European Parliament representative and the representative of the people,” Lange told Euronews’ flagship morning show Europe Today.

“For us it’s crystal clear that the US really is breaking the deal,” he added. “If in the next week nothing happen, then we have to reflect about countermeasures, counter tariffs for example.”

His remarks put him at odds with European Commissioner for Trade Maroš Šefčovič, who this week urged lawmakers to press ahead with the pact struck in July 2025 in Scotland by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Trump.

The agreement set 15% US tariffs on EU goods, while the bloc committed to cut its own to zero.

‘The break is really on the side of the US’

That fragile truce is now under strain. Despite the deal, new 10% US tariffs took effect on Tuesday, prompting MEPs to suspend the agreement on Monday.

While the Commission is seeking clarification from Washington, it still expects lawmakers to move forward with legislation in March to scrap EU tariffs as foreseen in the deal.

Lange, however, says this marks the third breach by the US and argues the pact should be halted to restore certainty for European businesses.

“The break is really on the side of the US and this has to be stopped, otherwise we have uncertainty,” he said.

“I speak to US Ambassador Jamieson Greer, the US trade representative, of course we have a good relationship, we can talk and I can trust him,” Lange added.

“But the situation and the decision-making in the US not based on a democratic process. At the end of the day, the president is deciding alone, and this is not a stable situation.”

European lawmakers had already frozen the deal once after Trump threatened tariffs on EU countries that would not allow him to acquire Greenland.

The European Parliament later inserted safeguards allowing the agreement to be suspended in case of new territorial threats and to lapse in March 2028 if not renewed.

Lange said work would resume only once the US lifts its new tariffs on the EU and removes the 50% duties imposed on more than 400 aluminium and steel derivatives in breach of the Turnberry agreement.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Merz’s plan of ‘associate EU membership’ for Ukraine gets mixed reviews

Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses last year, Sánchez says

EPP considers punishing lawmaker for appearing alongside far-right parties

‘No way out’: Italian divers who died in the Maldives may have become lost in cave, rescuers say

No, the US hasn’t announced a total withdrawal of troops from Europe

EU cuts 2026 growth forecast as Strait of Hormuz crisis pushes inflation up

Russia delivers nuclear warheads to Belarus as NATO tensions spike

Latvia issues warning to residents after detecting unmanned aerial vehicle in its airspace

Paris nursery abuse probe expands as 16 staff held over extended custody

Editors Picks

Merz’s plan of ‘associate EU membership’ for Ukraine gets mixed reviews

May 21, 2026

Israel says all Gaza flotilla activists have been deported amid global outrage over their treatment

May 21, 2026

Stellantis to launch 60 new models by 2030: electric car made in Pomigliano

May 21, 2026

Warum Deutschland sich selbst bremst – POLITICO

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Spain to launch biggest forest fire campaign after record losses last year, Sánchez says

May 21, 2026

‘Historic’ UK trade deal with Gulf states set to add billions to British economy

May 21, 2026

Ahead of the SpaceX IPO, a look at the biggest stock market debuts ever

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.