Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Trump sends Indiana stone to Italy to carve White House ballroom columns

August 23, 2026

The UK assisted dying bill is coming back. Its Labour champion is looking to Australia for inspiration – POLITICO

August 23, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Evening

August 23, 2026

Raised in the wild: Spain’s famous “wolf boy” dies

August 23, 2026

Western leaders arrive in Kyiv as Ukrainian forces set sights on Russia’s Ozon

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Culture
Culture

Netflix sued for $105m over stolen Nicolas Cage World War II thriller ‘Fortitude’

By staffJuly 31, 20263 Mins Read
Netflix sued for 5m over stolen Nicolas Cage World War II thriller ‘Fortitude’
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
31/07/2026 – 14:11 GMT+2

Netflix is being sued for $105 million by a production company which claims that the streamer lost a hard drive containing an unreleased Nicolas Cage movie titled Fortitude.

The lawsuit filed yesterday in California federal court by writer-producer Simon Afram and his company, Op-Fortitude, accuses Netflix of compromising the sale of the World War II thriller.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that a copy of the film was on one of several hard drives stolen from Netflix offices in Los Angeles last month.

In a statement to THR, the streaming giant denied all claims made against them.

“Netflix disputes any claim that it bears the risk of loss for a film delivered without the proper industry-standard safeguards,” a company spokesperson said. “While we do not own the rights to Fortitude, we take content security seriously and have taken extra measures to support the filmmaker and his team. This includes conducting a thorough investigation and offering to monitor known piracy sites for any unauthorized distribution or sale.”

According to the lawsuit, Netflix requested screening material and an encrypted copy was delivered for a screening on 15 June, before it is stated that a Netflix executive got in touch to inform the producers that the drive was stolen.

“Unfortunately, someone stole a good amount of drives from our office desks this past week,” wrote Sean Berney, Netflix’s head of film acquisitions, in an email on 25 June that was quoted by the lawsuit. “We’ve been working through this with our security teams to no luck. Our piracy teams are on high alert with the breach and will monitor.”

Netflix is accused of failing to disclose details of whether a police report was initially filed. The lawsuit claims that any future sale of the film has now been put in jeopardy.

“Through its mishandling of the film and subsequent dismissiveness, Netflix has jeopardized plaintiffs’ investment of over $45m and the significant value of the film itself,” the lawsuit said, according to Page Six. “Netflix has also deprived the film, its cast and its creators of the opportunity to bring their work to market and receive recognition that a properly marketed worldwide release likely would have generated.”

Fortitude was directed by Simon West (Con Air, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Bride Hard) and is based on the true story of British intelligence officers who incorporated unique strategic operations to fool Nazi leadership. It also stars Matthew Goode, Michael Sheen and Ben Kingsley.

“I spent seven years of my life bringing this incredible true story to the screen,” Afram said in a statement. “But this film was never mine alone. It belongs to the extraordinary cast and their performances of a lifetime that deserve to be seen and recognized. It represents the moment these artists have earned.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Trump sends Indiana stone to Italy to carve White House ballroom columns

What is ‘farmear aura’? Viral street battles born on TikTok

Wehrmacht motorbike from the Danube brings siege of Budapest to life

Pompeii, life went on after Vesuvius: new discovery points to the Renaissance

Euronews Culture’s Film of the Week: ‘Fjord’

Why is the Gwangju Biennale refusing to call Taiwan’s pavilion the ‘Taiwan Pavilion’?

World’s oldest person celebrates 117th birthday in UK – What is the secret to her longevity?

Spice Girls leader Geri Halliwell’s Cordoban great-grandfather was executed after the Civil War

Diamonds or duds: Are these the most overrated albums of all time?

Editors Picks

The UK assisted dying bill is coming back. Its Labour champion is looking to Australia for inspiration – POLITICO

August 23, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Evening

August 23, 2026

Raised in the wild: Spain’s famous “wolf boy” dies

August 23, 2026

Western leaders arrive in Kyiv as Ukrainian forces set sights on Russia’s Ozon

August 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Sydney Marathon mishap: Munich’s Allianz Arena appears on finisher medal

August 23, 2026

Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says ‘shut until US changes’

August 23, 2026

ECB head Christine Lagarde ‘ready to serve’ WEF, report says

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.