Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Police decry conditions in Ceuta: One bathroom for 70 officers and eight officers to a room

August 18, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Evening

August 18, 2026

Commerzbank, German resistance wanes: UniCredit nears deal, what could change

August 18, 2026

Porcupines spread near Warsaw: ‘It tasted some garden plants and got into the house’

August 18, 2026

Video. Italian town carries towering Virgin Mary structure through streets

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Mourners in Damascus bury cafe bomb blast victims as officials promise justice

By staffJuly 3, 20262 Mins Read
Mourners in Damascus bury cafe bomb blast victims as officials promise justice
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Mourners filed through Damascus on Friday, a day after an explosive device detonated in a cafe in the Syrian capital killed 10 people.

The funeral procession in the normally bustling Midan neighbourhood carried the coffins of three of the victims.

Another 21 were wounded in the explosion at a popular cafe near the capital’s main judicial complex, which was often frequented by lawyers.

Syria’s Health Ministry raised the death toll on Friday from nine to 10. Officials have promised to arrest those behind the attack, but no updates were announced in the investigation.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Bahaa Qabbani said his brother, Fathi Qabbani, a married father of one son, worked at a shop near the site of the explosion and was passing by the cafe at the moment of the blast. He was killed.

Qabbani called the perpetrators of the attack “a group of terrorists who are against the homeland,” and called on security forces to “take hold of the country with an iron fist.”

Although there is so far no indication who carried out the attack, many were quick to blame loyalists of former President Bashar al-Assad, who was ousted in an insurgent offensive in December 2024.

During the funeral procession, some mourners chanted, “The people want remnants of the former regime to be executed.”

Also on Friday, Syria’s state-run news agency SANA reported that three members of security forces were wounded in an attack on a checkpoint at the entrance to the Damascus suburb of Jaramana.

It said that a man on a motorcycle threw two hand grenades at the checkpoint guards and tried to throw a third one, but it exploded in his hand, killing him.

Another person was arrested in connection with the attack, SANA reported.

Since overthrowing the al-Assad dynasty, Syria’s new rulers have struggled to exert control across the country and to check extremist groups.

Deadly attacks blamed on the so-called Islamic State group have targeted religious minorities, including a suicide attack on a church in a Damascus suburb and a bomb set off in a mosque in a predominantly Alawite area in the city of Homs.

Additional sources • AP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Evening

Video. Italian town carries towering Virgin Mary structure through streets

Video. Champagne harvest starts early in France as heatwave speeds ripening

Ship hit in Hormuz as Iran’s top negotiator says strait to stay shut

Opening statements begin in long-awaited trial almost 30 years after hip-hop star Tupac Shakur was murdered

Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

Judge blocks Trump administration’s attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

Video. Dogs receive holy water blessing in Bolivia ceremony

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s request to overturn sex assault judgement

Editors Picks

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Evening

August 18, 2026

Commerzbank, German resistance wanes: UniCredit nears deal, what could change

August 18, 2026

Porcupines spread near Warsaw: ‘It tasted some garden plants and got into the house’

August 18, 2026

Video. Italian town carries towering Virgin Mary structure through streets

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

This new budget airline is launching direct flights to Spain’s Santiago de Compostela

August 18, 2026

France: drones are becoming a new way to smuggle goods into prisons

August 18, 2026

Video. Champagne harvest starts early in France as heatwave speeds ripening

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.