Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

The battle of Binface, Buckethead and Burnham – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Brussels to remove remaining barriers with Mexico as the allies review their trade agreement

May 22, 2026

Kommt die Rente mit 70? – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Morgan McSweeney swaps UK government for Ukraine-watching – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Macron asks Netanyahu to ‘refrain from a ground offensive’ in Lebanon

By staffMarch 5, 20262 Mins Read
Macron asks Netanyahu to ‘refrain from a ground offensive’ in Lebanon
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By&nbspEuronews

Published on
05/03/2026 – 6:38 GMT+1

French President Emmanuel Macron said he spoke with Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and asked him to “refrain from a ground offensive” in Lebanon.

“I urged the Israeli Prime Minister to preserve Lebanon’s territorial integrity and to refrain from a ground offensive,” the French leader wrote on X on Wednesday.

The phone call with Netanyahu marked Macron’s first conversation with the Israeli leader since last year, who has voiced anger over France’s decision to recognise a Palestinian state in September.

Macron also said he held talks with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam. The Head of State advocated a return “to the ceasefire agreement” and urging them to press Hezbollah to cease “its attacks on Israel and beyond”.

“France will continue, together with its partners, to support the efforts of the Lebanese Armed Forces so that they can fully carry out their missions of sovereignty and put an end to the threat posed by Hezbollah,” he said.

France will also take steps to support displaced communities in Lebanon, Macron added.

“Our solidarity with the Lebanese people and our commitment to regional stability remain at the heart of our action,” he wrote.

According to local authorities, more than 83,000 people have been displaced from their home across Lebanon since renewed exchanges of fire began this weekend.

On Wednesday, the Israeli military again issued evacuation warnings to residents of dozens of villages in southern Lebanon, as airstrikes on suburbs of Beirut intensified and Hezbollah claimed more attacks.

Lebanon was drawn into the US-Israeli war with Tehran after the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah attacked Israel following the death of Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Saturday.

France boosts defences in Middle East

In a televised address on Tuesday evening, Macron condemned the US-Israeli strikes against Iran, which he said were “carried out outside international law.” The French leader did, however, attribute”primary responsibility for this situation” to the Islamic Republic.

Macron announced France would deploy additional air defence capabilities to several of these allied countries as part of a “defensive” force, including to Cyprus, after drone incidents targeted British facilities on the island.

He also ordered the aircraft carrier Charles-de-Gaulle to be sent to the Mediterranean, citing the impact of the Middle East conflict on international trade.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

Video. Lebanon rescuers search rubble after attacks in Tyre province

Netanyahu speaks out after video shows minister taunting activists

Trump envoy says US should restore its ‘footprint’ in Greenland

Iran secretly executes four as it hits global death sentence record

Video. Pashinyan grabs megaphone as exchange turns heated during election campaign

Video. Ancient Buddhist hall with 1,000-year-old ‘eternal flame’ burns in Japan

Video. Ukrainian drone pilots compete in high-speed contests

Turkish court annuls leadership of main opposition CHP party, sparking turmoil

Editors Picks

Brussels to remove remaining barriers with Mexico as the allies review their trade agreement

May 22, 2026

Kommt die Rente mit 70? – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Morgan McSweeney swaps UK government for Ukraine-watching – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

May 22, 2026

Video. Lebanon rescuers search rubble after attacks in Tyre province

May 22, 2026

Putin is testing European leaders – POLITICO

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.