Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Video. Merkel warns Europe can no longer rely on old security certainties

May 19, 2026

Video. G7 finance ministers gather in Paris amid Iran tensions and tariff concerns

May 19, 2026

Greece moves to sideline EU prosecutor from investigating parliamentarians – POLITICO

May 19, 2026

Video. World Cup stadium workers demand ICE stay out

May 19, 2026

Extreme weather: Pentecost heatwave expected with temperatures up to 30C

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Lebanese president vows to ‘do the impossible’ to end war with Israel as strikes continue despite ceasefire

By staffMay 19, 20263 Mins Read
Lebanese president vows to ‘do the impossible’ to end war with Israel as strikes continue despite ceasefire
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Monday he was ready to “do the impossible” to stop the war with Israel, as strikes continued to batter the country despite a ceasefire.

Aoun’s comments came as the Israeli army carried out another series of strikes in south Lebanon, while Hezbollah said it had struck a military target in northern Israel.

While a ceasefire was announced on 17 April, it has failed to stop the violence between Israel and Hezbollah, which have continued to launch strikes as they accuse each other of violating the agreement.

Last week the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions to which Hezbollah is not a party, and is opposed to.

“The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid,” Aoun said in a statement Monday.

“My duty, based on my position and my responsibility, is to do the impossible, and to choose what is least costly, in order to stop the war against Lebanon and its people,” he added.

Ceasefire fails to stop violence

Hezbollah said it had fired a drone targeting “an Iron Dome platform belonging to the Israeli enemy army” based in a military encampment in northern Israel.

The attack was a response to Israeli violations of the ceasefire, it added.

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported a series of Israeli strikes across the south.

Israel has also continued to carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in villages along Lebanon’s southern border.

On Monday, it issued fresh evacuation warnings to three southern villages, and later repeated its warning to one on the outskirts of the coastal city of Tyre.

Israeli soldiers have invaded and occupied part of south Lebanon, operating inside an Israeli-declared “yellow line” that runs around 10 kilometres north of the border. They have carried out large-scale demolitions in the area, but claim they have no territorial ambitions there.

The attacks came a day after Israeli strikes killed seven people in Lebanon, including a member of the group Palestinian Islamic Jihad in the country’s northeast, far from the Israel-Lebanon border.

On Monday, the health ministry said the death toll from Israeli strikes since the start of the war on March 2 had reached 3,020, with 211 people 18 and under and 116 healthcare workers among those killed.

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. G7 finance ministers gather in Paris amid Iran tensions and tariff concerns

Video. World Cup stadium workers demand ICE stay out

US lawmakers raise alarm over legality of Pentagon’s lethal drug boat strikes

Video. Tehran mass wedding turns military vehicles into bridal cars

Video. Fast-moving wildfire spreads through Southern California hills

Video. Swatch fans left frustrated as stores stay closed amid watch frenzy

Video. Protest erupts at Venezuela’s Central University after prisoner deaths

Video. Teargas fired as protests erupt over rising fuel prices in Kenya

Belarus stages nuclear drills with Russia as Kyiv warns of new offensive

Editors Picks

Video. G7 finance ministers gather in Paris amid Iran tensions and tariff concerns

May 19, 2026

Greece moves to sideline EU prosecutor from investigating parliamentarians – POLITICO

May 19, 2026

Video. World Cup stadium workers demand ICE stay out

May 19, 2026

Extreme weather: Pentecost heatwave expected with temperatures up to 30C

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Joint ESA–China mission begins mapping Earth’s protective magnetic field

May 19, 2026

New film charts the life and times of Zurita de Oliveira, the mother of Portuguese rock

May 19, 2026

Deutschlands neue Rolle im vergessenen Sudan-Krieg – POLITICO

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.