Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Reaching ‘The Peak’: Coca-Cola’s Olympic celebrations in Milan set for record numbers

February 18, 2026

‘Keep your mouth shut’ on nukes – POLITICO

February 18, 2026

pourquoi un départ anticipé de Lagarde ferait les affaires de Macron – POLITICO

February 18, 2026

‘A dangerous trend’: Olympic skiers voice concern over receding glaciers

February 18, 2026

Margaret Hodge in the running to lead Ofcom – POLITICO

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

Keir Starmer goes big on wind power — even as Trump trashes it – POLITICO

By staffJanuary 15, 20262 Mins Read
Keir Starmer goes big on wind power — even as Trump trashes it – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

It’s a scenario that Miliband and Starmer want to avoid in future by focusing on producing electricity from domestic sources like offshore wind that are not subject to the ups and downs of global fossil fuel markets.

Trump, by contrast, wants to keep Europe hooked on gas — specifically, American gas.

The U.S. National Security Strategy, updated late last year, states Trump’s desire to use American fossil fuel exports to “project power.” Trump has already strong-armed the European Union into committing to buy $750 billion worth of American liquefied natural gas (LNG) as a quid pro quo for tariff relief.

No one in Starmer’s government explicitly named Trump or the U.S. on Wednesday. But Chris Stark, a senior official in Miliband’s energy department tasked with delivering the 2030 goal, noted that “every megawatt of offshore wind that we’re bringing on is a few more metric tons of LNG that we don’t need to import.”

The U.K.’s investment in offshore wind also provides welcome relief to a global industry that has been seriously shaken both by soaring inflation and interest rates — and more recently by a Trump-inspired backlash against net zero and clean energy.

“It’s a relief for the offshore sector … It’s a relief generally, that the U.K. government is able to lean into very large positive investment stories in U.K. infrastructure,” said Tom Glover, U.K. country chair of the German energy firm RWE, which was the biggest winner in the latest offshore wind investment, securing contracts for 6.9 gigawatts of capacity.

A second energy industry figure, granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record, said the U.K.’s plans were a “great signal for the global offshore wind sector” after a difficult few years — “not least the stuff in the U.S.”

The other big winner was British firm SSE, which has plans to build one of the world’s largest-ever offshore wind projects, Berwick Bank — off the coast of Donald Trump’s beloved Scotland.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

‘Keep your mouth shut’ on nukes – POLITICO

pourquoi un départ anticipé de Lagarde ferait les affaires de Macron – POLITICO

Margaret Hodge in the running to lead Ofcom – POLITICO

Bulgaria to hold snap election in April – POLITICO

Germany eyes social media ban for kids – POLITICO

Pope snubs Trump’s Gaza peace board  – POLITICO

Reform UK vows to scrap Britain’s carbon border tax 

Macron’s efforts to make France business friendly ‘wiped out,’ US group says – POLITICO

US officially backs Britain’s Chagos Islands deal – POLITICO

Editors Picks

‘Keep your mouth shut’ on nukes – POLITICO

February 18, 2026

pourquoi un départ anticipé de Lagarde ferait les affaires de Macron – POLITICO

February 18, 2026

‘A dangerous trend’: Olympic skiers voice concern over receding glaciers

February 18, 2026

Margaret Hodge in the running to lead Ofcom – POLITICO

February 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Heavy snowfall blankets Bucharest, transport services disrupted

February 18, 2026

Satellites as instruments of space defence |Euronews Tech Talks

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria to hold snap election in April – POLITICO

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.