Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Fancy pizza with a view when visiting the Vatican?

February 17, 2026

Ireland launches ‘large-scale inquiry’ into Musk’s AI bot Grok – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Fight to ban Russian steel intensifies in Brussels

February 17, 2026

Greece seeks to obtain Nazi execution photos listed for sale on eBay

February 17, 2026

Vatican will use AI to translate Mass in 60 languages at St. Peter’s Basilica

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Israel’s defence minister walks back pledge to establish Gaza settlements

By staffDecember 24, 20253 Mins Read
Israel’s defence minister walks back pledge to establish Gaza settlements
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz backtracked on a pledge on Tuesday that Israel would establish settlements in Gaza, following criticism the statement goes against the US-led peace plan for the Strip.

Speaking at an Israeli settlement in the West Bank, Katz said that “with God’s help,” Israel would establish pioneer groups in northern Gaza “in place of the settlements that were evacuated.”

“We will do this in the right way, at the appropriate time,” he added. The video spread on social media and became widely criticised.

Hours later, Katz’s office released a statement clarifying that his comment was made in a “security context,” reiterating that Israel “has no intention to establish settlements in the Gaza Strip.

Katz’s statement clashes with US President Donald Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan and previous comments by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has repeatedly ruled out occupying Gaza.

Meanwhile, the US-brokered ceasefire plan calls for the near-total withdrawal of Israeli forces and does not mention Israeli settlements in the enclave.

A US official speaking on condition of anonymity condemned Katz’s statement, “The more Israel provokes, the less the Arab countries will want to work with them,” the official said.

Washington expects “all parties to adhere to the commitments they made” under the ceasefire plan, they added.

Katz was referring to Nahal military units that in the past allowed youths to combine pioneering activities with military service. Many of the outposts established by the unit went on to evolve into full-fledged settlements.

Israel evacuated its settlements in Gaza and withdrew all of its troops under the 2005 Disengagement Plan.

Some officials in Netanyahu’s far-right coalition have previously called on Israel to rebuild settlements in Gaza following the Hamas-led 7 October 2023 attack on southern Israel and the subsequent Israel-Hamas war.

Israeli settler violence in West Bank continues

Overnight into Tuesday, Israeli settlers attacked a Palestinian home in the occupied West Bank, a Palestinian official said.

The settlers smashed a door and a window and fired tear gas inside a home in the town of As Samu’. Three Palestinian children had to be rushed to the hospital. The attackers also killed three sheep and injured four others in the stable, according to officials.

An office documenting attacks within a Palestinian governmental body, the Wall and Settlement Resistance Commission, released CCTV footage in which five settlers can be seen wearing masks and dark clothing, some equipped with batons.

Police say they are investigating the incident and added that they arrested five settlers on suspicion of trespassing onto Palestinian land, damaging property and dispensing pepper spray, rather than tear gas.

The attack marked the second attack on the family in less than two months’ time, a commission official said, adding that it was “part of a systematic and ongoing pattern of settler violence targeting Palestinian civilians, their property and their means of livelihood, carried out with impunity under the protection of the Israeli occupation”.

Attacks by Israeli settlers often rise during the olive harvest season, from September to November, a critical period for Palestinian income.

During October’s olive harvest, settlers across the territory launched an average of eight attacks daily, according to the United Nations humanitarian office.

The West Bank is home to some 3 million Palestinians and more than half a million Israeli settlers.

The international community considers West Bank settlements illegal under international law, which Israel disputes.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Greece seeks to obtain Nazi execution photos listed for sale on eBay

Hundreds of millions across Asia celebrate the Lunar New Year of the Fire Horse

French prosecutors widen Epstein probe with raid on Jack Lang’s former institute

Peace talks round three: Ukraine-US-Russia Geneva meeting’s key topics

Video. Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano spews lava hundreds of meters into the air as it erupts again

‘We want you to continue’: Rubio delivers Trump’s campaign message to Orbán in Budapest

Munich Security Conference 2026: Wind of Change 2.0

French ‘ultra-left’ blamed for death of far-right activist in Lyon

Ukraine’s former energy minister charged with money laundering

Editors Picks

Ireland launches ‘large-scale inquiry’ into Musk’s AI bot Grok – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Fight to ban Russian steel intensifies in Brussels

February 17, 2026

Greece seeks to obtain Nazi execution photos listed for sale on eBay

February 17, 2026

Vatican will use AI to translate Mass in 60 languages at St. Peter’s Basilica

February 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

5 things to watch as EU Parliament gears up for midterm reshuffle – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Newsletter: The EU’s balancing act on Trump’s Peace Board

February 17, 2026

Macron pushes to Le Pen-proof France before 2027 election – POLITICO

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.