Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Berlin Film Festival: Yellow Letters wins the Golden Bear award 2026

February 21, 2026

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026

Meloni and Macron postpone their first high-level summit – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

February 21, 2026

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Israel says to have killed top Hezbollah official in strike on Beirut

By staffNovember 23, 20252 Mins Read
Israel says to have killed top Hezbollah official in strike on Beirut
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By&nbspeuronews&nbspwith&nbspASSOCIATED PRESS

Published on
23/11/2025 – 20:31 GMT+1

Israel announced on Sunday evening that it had killed Haitham Tabatabai, who claims to be the chief of staff of Hezbollah, in an attack in the Lebanese capital, Beirut.

The attack in the southern suburbs of the Lebanese capital killed five people and wounded 28 others, according to local authorities.

It was the first Israeli strike in Beirut since last June.

Hezbollah had earlier announced that an Israeli resistance “figure” was likely killed in the attack, without giving further details.

“Hezbollah’s leadership is studying the issue of the response and will make an appropriate decision. Today’s attack in the southern suburbs opens the door to an escalation of attacks across Lebanon,” Mahmoud Qamati, deputy chairman of Hezbollah’s political council, said from the scene of the attack.

In a statement, Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said: “We will continue to act forcefully to prevent any threat to the residents of the north and the state of Israel.”

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned Sunday’s attack and accused Israel of refusing to implement the end of the ceasefire agreement. He called on the international community to “intervene forcefully and seriously to stop the attacks against Lebanon and its people.”

Tabatabai had led Hezbollah’s elite Radwan unit.

He was considered the successor to Ibrahim Akil, who was killed in September 2024 in Israeli attacks that wiped out much of Hezbollah’s senior leadership, including longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah.

The Israeli military said he “commanded most of Hezbollah’s units and worked hard to bring them back to readiness for war with Israel.”

Israel’s foreign ministry said his killing came after repeated ceasefire violations by Hezbollah.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 21st, 2026 – Midday

Video. Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

Tehran accused of mass arrests, torture and executions after protests

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 20th, 2026 – Midday

Video. From Milano Cortina to Dakar 2026: Olympic mascots Tina and Ayo share the stage

Video. Humanoid robots dance into Beijing’s Lunar New Year celebrations

Editors Picks

Over 3,000 people march in France in honour of far-right activist

February 21, 2026

Meloni and Macron postpone their first high-level summit – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

The new space race: how satellites are reshaping Germany’s defence

February 21, 2026

Merz vows coordinated EU line ahead of talks with Trump on tariffs – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

EU doesn’t need all 27 to move forward on reforms – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Dozens of countries steer clear of safety commitment in global AI pledge – POLITICO

February 21, 2026

Fico threatens to cut Ukraine’s emergency power over oil transit dispute – POLITICO

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.