Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Zelenskyy’s right-hand man vows to fight on frontline after ouster in corruption scandal – POLITICO

November 29, 2025

Russia launches close to 600 drones in overnight attack on Ukraine killing three

November 29, 2025

Top Ukraine officials head to US for peace talks – POLITICO

November 29, 2025

Video. Pope Leo XIV visits Istanbul’s Blue Mosque for a brief moment of prayer

November 29, 2025

Thousands of Airbus planes grounded due to software glitch – POLITICO

November 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Fatal Lisbon funicular crash linked to faulty cable and maintenance failures

By staffOctober 21, 20252 Mins Read
Fatal Lisbon funicular crash linked to faulty cable and maintenance failures
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
By&nbspEma Gil Pires&nbsp&&nbspJeremiah Fisayo-Bambi

Published on
21/10/2025 – 10:45 GMT+2

The failure of an underground cable and maintenance flaws contributed to last month’s funicular crash in Lisbon that killed 16 people and injured 21 others, according to an official preliminary report.

The funicular’s derailment is one of Portugal’s worst tragedies in recent memory. The 140-year-old Glória funicular, which is a popular tourist attraction, derailed and crashed into a building on 3 September.

There were 11 foreigners among those killed, including three Brits, two South Koreans, two Canadians. The other victims were French, Swiss, American and Ukrainian.

The Portuguese victims included four employees from the same social care institution, whose offices sit at the top of the steep side road serviced by the funicular.

The Office for Air and Rail Accident Prevention and Investigation, which is a government body, said in the report the underground steel haulage cable which connected the two cars and balanced out their weight, wasn’t strong enough for the job.

It wasn’t certified for public transport nor installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, according to the report.

The cable had been in use for less than a year.

The investigation identified five instances when the maintenance program referred to “non-existent, inapplicable or outdated standards,” the report said.

After the cable broke, safety systems cut power to the funicular, meaning that the pneumatic brake no longer worked and the manual brake wasn’t strong enough to stop the car hurtling down the hill.

The investigation is also looking into whether funicular brakes need to be improved.

The report recommended that all Lisbon cable cars should be ordered out of service for immediate maintenance repairs.

In a statement, the municipal transport company Carris said it was “not possible at this time to state whether or not the non-conformities in the use of the cable are relevant to the accident”.

Lisbon’s Mayor Carlos Moedas, who was re-elected this month despite opposition claims he had failed in his duty of oversight over the funiculars, told local media that the report “reaffirms that the unfortunate tragedy … was due to technical and not political causes”.

The preliminary report is not intended to determine liability or establish blame, the investigating body said.

A fuller and more detailed final report resulting from closer analysis of the accident is expected next year.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Russia launches close to 600 drones in overnight attack on Ukraine killing three

Video. Pope Leo XIV visits Istanbul’s Blue Mosque for a brief moment of prayer

Mass protests in the central German town of Giessen against new AfD youth group

At least 13 people killed by Israeli forces during raid on a southern Syrian village

Video. Latest news bulletin | November 29th, 2025 – Morning

Two ships of Russia’s sanctioned shadow fleet caught fire in the Black Sea off Türkiye

Uzbekistan to drastically reduce bureaucracy and train 5 million AI citizens by 2030

Pope Leo XIV calls for unity of the Christian world during Nicaea ceremony

Video. Aerial footage shows devastation from flash floods and landslides in Indonesia

Editors Picks

Russia launches close to 600 drones in overnight attack on Ukraine killing three

November 29, 2025

Top Ukraine officials head to US for peace talks – POLITICO

November 29, 2025

Video. Pope Leo XIV visits Istanbul’s Blue Mosque for a brief moment of prayer

November 29, 2025

Thousands of Airbus planes grounded due to software glitch – POLITICO

November 29, 2025

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Mass protests in the central German town of Giessen against new AfD youth group

November 29, 2025

At least 13 people killed by Israeli forces during raid on a southern Syrian village

November 29, 2025

Who is Anok Yai – and why is she the most influential model of 2025?

November 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2025 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.