Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Brussels to remove remaining barriers with Mexico as the allies review their trade agreement

May 22, 2026

Kommt die Rente mit 70? – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Morgan McSweeney swaps UK government for Ukraine-watching – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

May 22, 2026

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

By staffMay 22, 20263 Mins Read
EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

BRUSSELS — Influencers attending high-level EU meetings of ministers and leaders will not be replacing journalists, a content creator working with the Council of the EU said.

Pietro Valetto, a 27-year-old influencer, has been invited to the Council next week for what was dubbed an “exclusive experience” in which creators will get to see behind the scenes at the EU institution. From July, influencers will also be invited to EU leaders’ summits in Brussels as well as certain ministerial meetings, as POLITICO reported earlier this month.

That announcement prompted pushback from journalists who cover these summits and meetings. But Valetto said influencers won’t undermine the work of accredited reporters.

“It’s a separate thing from journalists,” Valetto said. “It’s not like what the U.S is doing, where the White House invites specific creators to cover them,” he continued.

Any content creators invited to EU summits will be able to attend press conferences and doorsteps, but won’t be allowed to ask questions, under plans by the Council presented to diplomats earlier this month.

“Content creators will be accompanied at all times and will not be treated as media, including when it comes to accreditation or access to media opportunities,” a Council official said.

Dafydd ab Iago, president of the Brussels-based foreign correspondent association, API, has criticized the move.

“Clicks, views and impressions are great on TikTok and Instagram. But the basic fact remains: influencers in press conferences and at summits will not have to disclose who pays them,” he said. 

“By contrast, EU-accredited journalists are not expected to accept payment in return for writing nice stories. It’s sort of called journalistic ethics.”

Valetto maintains that the role of influencers will be different, describing himself as a “disseminator” of information.

“It’s more like showing off the institution because at the moment it’s suffering a lot compared to the Commission and Parliament,” he said. “People don’t really know what the Council is.”

But he said that the influencers — who are not being paid — who are invited to visit the Council can decide what they want to highlight, with no “deliverables” required by the Council in exchange for access.

The Council’s move follows similar pitches by the other two main EU institutions to welcome content creators in a bid to find new audiences.

As part of a recent European Commission campaign, Protect What Matters, focusing on security, democracy and peace, the EU executive selected 50 creators to work on the campaign. 

“They are not being paid and have full editorial freedom to decide if and how to support the campaign,” the Commission spokesperson said.

The Parliament “makes the biggest use” of creators, Valetto said, pointing to food bloggers and fashion influencers who have been invited to events in Brussels or plenaries in Strasbourg.

“That’s because they want to reach new audiences,” he said. “Maybe they [the Parliament] get three or four days of coverage in front of an audience that doesn’t normally consider it.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Kommt die Rente mit 70? – POLITICO

Morgan McSweeney swaps UK government for Ukraine-watching – POLITICO

Putin is testing European leaders – POLITICO

NATO allies downplay US troop withdrawals – POLITICO

The looming crisis putting Europe’s energy security at risk  – POLITICO

Serbia’s Brnabić condemns EU double standards on enlargement – POLITICO

A Bruxelles, l’équipe chargée de la simplification découvre que ce n’est pas si simple – POLITICO

Member countries call on EU to sanction Israel’s Ben-Gvir over flotilla taunts – POLITICO

Comment Brigitte Macron a sauvé un million d’euros pour l’Institut français de la mode

Editors Picks

Kommt die Rente mit 70? – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Morgan McSweeney swaps UK government for Ukraine-watching – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

US raises pressure on Cuba as it indicts former President Raul Castro on murder charges

May 22, 2026

EUCO content creators ‘won’t replace EU journalists,’ says influencer 

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Lebanon rescuers search rubble after attacks in Tyre province

May 22, 2026

Putin is testing European leaders – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

Netanyahu speaks out after video shows minister taunting activists

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.