Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Reunification review: Berlinale film explores Friedrichstrasse after the fall of the Wall

February 20, 2026

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

German leader Friedrich Merz will visit China next week to deepen trade and cooperation

February 20, 2026

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

February 20, 2026

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

China hits back at EU over cyber bill – POLITICO

By staffJanuary 21, 20262 Mins Read
China hits back at EU over cyber bill – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The European Commission on Tuesday unveiled its proposal to revamp the bloc’s Cybersecurity Act. The bill seeks to crack down on risky technology vendors in critical supply chains ranging across energy, transport, health care and other sectors.

Though the legislation itself does not name any specific countries or companies, it is widely seen as being targeted at China. 5G suppliers Huawei and ZTE are in the EU’s immediate crosshairs, while other Chinese vendors are expected to be hit at a later stage.

European Commission spokesperson Thomas Regnier responded to the Chinese foreign ministry, saying Europe has allowed high-risk vendors from outside the EU in strategic sectors for “far too long.”

“We are indeed radically changing this. Because we cannot be naive anymore,” Regnier said in a statement. The exclusion of high-risk suppliers will always be based on “strong risk assessments” and in coordination with EU member countries, he said.

China “urges the EU to avoid going further down the wrong path of protectionism,” the Chinese foreign ministry’s Guo told reporters. He added the EU bill would “not only fail to achieve so-called security but will also incur huge costs,” saying some restrictions on using Huawei had already “caused enormous economic losses” in Europe in past years.

European telecom operators warned Tuesday that the law would impose multi-billion euro costs on the industry if restrictions on using Huawei and ZTE were to become mandatory across Europe.

A Huawei spokesperson said in a statement that laws to block suppliers based on their country of origin violate the EU’s “basic legal principles of fairness, non-discrimination, and proportionality,” as well as its World Trade Organization obligations. The company “reserve[s] all rights to safeguard our legitimate interests,” the spokesperson said.

ZTE did not respond to requests for comment on the EU’s plans.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

UK says privileged trading terms with US will ‘continue’ in wake of Trump tariff ruling – POLITICO

Qatargate probe to continue after judges dismiss claims case was mishandled – POLITICO

5 NATO allies agree to produce low-cost drones – POLITICO

Swedish MP warns country to be less like Tottenham Hotspur – POLITICO

Missing stars, traffic chaos and robo-dog controversy – POLITICO

Why Britain struggles to hold onto its prime ministers – POLITICO

Christine Lagarde says her ‘baseline’ is to complete her term at the ECB – POLITICO

Editors Picks

Paralympics’ Russia crisis grows as Ukraine vows ceremony boycott – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

German leader Friedrich Merz will visit China next week to deepen trade and cooperation

February 20, 2026

The Sagrada Família reaches maximum height after more than a century

February 20, 2026

World leaders hold their breath for Trump’s next tariff move  – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

France welcomed record visitor numbers in 2025, retaining its title as world’s most visited country

February 20, 2026

UK says privileged trading terms with US will ‘continue’ in wake of Trump tariff ruling – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Tehran accused of mass arrests, torture and executions after protests

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.