Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Belgian and Ukrainian Foreign Ministers meet in Kyiv bomb shelter amid air siren

August 18, 2026

One third of global travel spending last year was in Europe, new report finds

August 18, 2026

Andy Burnham ‘not embarrassed’ by exchange with Trump aide impersonator – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Eight non-EU countries to adopt EU sanctions on Belarus

August 18, 2026

Everything you need to know about Meta’s biggest legal battle yet

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Chancellor Merz: X post on World Cup exit causes confusion

By staffJune 30, 20263 Mins Read
Chancellor Merz: X post on World Cup exit causes confusion
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
30/06/2026 – 11:32 GMT+2

After the national team’s embarrassing World Cup exit, Federal Chancellor Friedrich Merz caused confusion with a post on the social media platform X. The chancellor praised the national team: “Even though going out hurts: what a game. With your commitment and team spirit at this World Cup you have thrilled our country. We are proud of you.”

Merz’s post attracted a great deal of criticism in the comments. Comedian Oliver Pocher also spoke up on the social media platform Instagram beneath the chancellor’s post. “I hope the account has been hacked. But it fits the situation in this country,” he wrote. There was “nothing to sugar-coat” about the defeat, nobody had been thrilled. Germany had disgraced itself and produced a “catastrophic performance”. If a chancellor writes such a fundamentally wrong analysis on Instagram in the middle of the night, Pocher said, you can only worry about how he assesses other issues as well.

Germany’s captain Kimmich sums up the mood like this: “I know Germany from watching television as a child, and we were always in the semi-finals, the final. Of course you want to be able to give that to the children, to the people and to the current generation, and the fact is that we could not give that to all the people back home. That is very, very sad, especially at a time in Germany when it would do us extremely good to have something we can be proud of. Sadly, the national team is not that, and we all bear responsibility for it.”

The Bayern Munich star continued: “We players who were on the pitch messed this up; it was not the coach, not the media, not the referee and not the opposition, it was solely us.”

Most fans on X also take a much more critical view of Germany’s World Cup exit, as the performance against Paraguay was poor and culminated in the first World Cup penalty shoot-out defeat in German football history.

At least Karl Lauterbach (SPD) offers a similarly quirky take on the World Cup exit as the chancellor.

The international press is also far less enthusiastic than Chancellor Friedrich Merz (CDU). The daily WELT quotes the Spanish sports newspaper Marca as follows: “Germany is no longer Germany. At two consecutive World Cups they have gone out in the group stage – an unprecedented feat. (…) As we said: Germany is no longer what it used to be.” The Italian sports paper La Gazzetta dello Sport is quoted by WELT as saying: “Germany flop. Nagelsmann failure.”

Merz’s verdict on X: that was nothing. The tabloid Bild sums it up accordingly: “Merz makes a fool of himself with his post.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Belgian and Ukrainian Foreign Ministers meet in Kyiv bomb shelter amid air siren

Eight non-EU countries to adopt EU sanctions on Belarus

UK will ‘support Ukraine 100%’ despite Russian threat of ‘consequences,’ PM says

Germany opens new drone security centre in Saxony-Anhalt amid rising threats

Ukrainian national convicted by German court over links to Russian sabotage plot

Leap of faith: Firefighter’s ladder too short, woman jumps from 11th floor blaze in Berlin

FIFA confirms COO Kevin Lamour ‘has left’ after criticising Infantino’s World Cup plans

Risky jumps from France’s Marseille corniche rise in popularity

Could the EU ban smoking? Commission to re-write rules for the next generation

Editors Picks

One third of global travel spending last year was in Europe, new report finds

August 18, 2026

Andy Burnham ‘not embarrassed’ by exchange with Trump aide impersonator – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

Eight non-EU countries to adopt EU sanctions on Belarus

August 18, 2026

Everything you need to know about Meta’s biggest legal battle yet

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Drought reveals Emperor Nero’s bridge beneath Rome’s Tiber river

August 18, 2026

German lawmakers call for EU sanctions on Israel’s Ben-Gvir over Gaza killing remarks – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

UK will ‘support Ukraine 100%’ despite Russian threat of ‘consequences,’ PM says

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.