Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Unitree’s viral dancing, rollerblading robots make a 600% stock market debut

August 19, 2026

Why is this Christian metal band suing Netflix over ‘KPop Demon Hunters’?

August 19, 2026

Anti-corruption raid heaps pressure on Zelenskyy – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

EU leaders rally behind International Criminal Court after fresh US sanctions

August 19, 2026

Video. Large fire breaks out at recycling centre in southeast London

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Culture
Culture

Céline Dion reveals she relied on Valium over 17 years of undiagnosed illness

By staffAugust 19, 20263 Mins Read
Céline Dion reveals she relied on Valium over 17 years of undiagnosed illness
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on 19/08/2026 – 14:26 GMT+2•Updated
14:26

For nearly 17 years, Céline Dion fought an illness without knowing its name. At one point, she had to take Valium just to keep functioning.

In a Harper’s Bazaar profile published earlier this week, the 58-year-old French-Canadian superstar described the pain and struggles she faced both on and off the stage, as well as the lengths she went to keep performing.

Dion said her symptoms began years before her 2022 diagnosis stiff-person syndrome, a rare neurological disorder that causes muscle stiffness and painful spasms.

Before doctors identified the cause, Dion would attribute cancelled performances to common ailments such as sinus infections. Behind the scenes, though, she was suffering. She said she found the pain so severe that she could barely walk at times.

The revelations come shortly before the Grammy-winning singer is set to return to the stage for a sold-out Paris residency – her first headlining shows in more than six years.

A career-halting diagnosis

Dion announced her diagnosis publicly in December 2022 and later cancelled the remaining dates of her Courage World Tour. Her sister said the following year that the singer had lost control of her muscles as her condition progressed.

Her health struggles were later documented in the 2024 film I Am: Céline Dion, which showed the singer undergoing treatment and dealing with painful spasms that left her unable to move or speak.

After years away from regular performances, Dion made a high-profile return at the Paris Olympics in July 2024, singing Édith Piaf’s ‘Hymne à l’amour’ from the Eiffel Tower.

Since her diagnosis, Dion has undergone a range of treatment to deal with the condition, including medication, physical therapy, vocal therapy and immunotherapy.

She also told Harper’s Bazaar that she has been following a 90-minute Pilates routine three times a week and practicing ballet to prepare for her return.

Céline Dion returns to Paris next month

Dion’s five-week residency at Paris La Défense Arena begins on 12 September, and the demand has been extraordinary.

The 16 dates sold out soon after tickets went on sale in April, prompting her to add another 10 dates at the same venue in May 2027.

She has also been releasing new music ahead of the comeback, including the French-language single ‘Bonjour, Pardon, Merci’, which followed ‘Dansons’ in April.

Dion’s long-awaited return is expected to have a big impact on Paris, too. Alexandra Dublanche, chair of the Choose Paris Region, told AFP earlier this year that the shows could generate between €300 million and €500 million for the local economy.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Why is this Christian metal band suing Netflix over ‘KPop Demon Hunters’?

Beninese-French singer Angélique Kidjo makes history as first Black African to get Hollywood Walk of Fame star

‘Many revelations’: Charles Spencer to ‘tell the truth’ about his sister Princess Diana in new book

Thinking outside the box about wellbeing: inside UK’s Medicine Festival

Drought reveals Emperor Nero’s bridge beneath Rome’s Tiber river

Picasso print stolen in broad daylight from Milwaukee gallery found eight years later

Brazilian restaurant adapts menus to climate challenges

Wladimir Klitschko says he is in ‘profound shock’ following death of ex-partner Hayden Panettiere

‘Niu Lai’: How is a ‘disaster-level’ Chinese animated film rivalling ‘The Odyssey’ at the box-office?

Editors Picks

Why is this Christian metal band suing Netflix over ‘KPop Demon Hunters’?

August 19, 2026

Anti-corruption raid heaps pressure on Zelenskyy – POLITICO

August 19, 2026

EU leaders rally behind International Criminal Court after fresh US sanctions

August 19, 2026

Video. Large fire breaks out at recycling centre in southeast London

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Revealed: Travellers’ worst travel mistakes – and their best hacks

August 19, 2026

Céline Dion reveals she relied on Valium over 17 years of undiagnosed illness

August 19, 2026

Reformer oder Radikaler? Ein Interview mit MV-Spitzenkandidat Leif-Erik Holm – POLITICO

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.