Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Macron announces pick for new budget minister – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Macron asks Trump to lift sanctions on former EU tech chief Thierry Breton – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

At least one person person killed as Russia targets Ukraine with 50 missiles

February 22, 2026

Top EU trade lawmaker calls to delay key vote on EU-US deal – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Kyiv condemns ‘blackmail’ by Hungary, Slovakia as energy standoff escalates

February 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

Capping Ukrainian army would ‘pave the road to hell’, former Foreign Minister Kuleba tells Euronews

By staffNovember 27, 20253 Mins Read
Capping Ukrainian army would ‘pave the road to hell’, former Foreign Minister Kuleba tells Euronews
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
27/11/2025 – 12:50 GMT+1

Ukraine’s former Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has said that reducing the size of Ukraine’s armed forces as part of a peace deal with Russia would be “humiliation” for Kyiv and leave the country vulnerable to future aggression.

“If you establish a cap on the army (…) it’s a clear message that a foreign power humiliates your army, your nation,” Kuleba told Euronews’ interview programme “12 minutes with”.

“We will pave the road to hell with good intentions of satisfying the Russians. And capping the army is the most prominent example of that effort.”

Diplomatic efforts to strike a peace deal have accelerated in recent days after a draft 28-point framework — now known to have been authored by the Kremlin — was presented to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy by the US administration.

The original US-Russian plan floated a limit of 600,000 troops for the Ukrainian army, which currently has almost 1 million soldiers, according to Zelenskyy.

The leaked European counterproposal drafted in talks in Geneva earlier this week — which do not reflect a formal negotiating position — pitched a higher cap of 800,000 soldiers during peacetime.

EU officials have since rejected such a limit, with foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas saying on Wednesday a peace deal should limit Russia’s army rather than Ukraine’s.

‘No good times for Europe ahead’

Western allies who are part of Ukraine’s “Coalition of the Willing” have long reiterated that a strong Ukrainian army is the best security guarantee for the country. In recent months, they have shifted their focus to strengthening the Ukrainian military as an alternative to reliance on foreign troops.

Another concept still on the table is providing Kyiv with security guarantees similar to Article 5 of the NATO treaty, which stipulates that an attack on one ally is an attack on all, without Ukraine becoming a fully-fledged NATO member.

“Isn’t it embarrassing that, almost four years into the war, European leaders are still jumping from one topic to another, from sending peacekeeping forces to reassurance forces to strengthening the Ukrainian army, to offering something like Article 5,” Kuleba questioned.

“You know, with this pace of decision making and conceptual understanding of where Europe is heading, there are no good times for Europe ahead.”

Kuleba also said he believed the push for a deal has “already fallen apart” due to the “aggressive and erratic handling of the original 28-point plan by Washington,” and due to leaked calls between US and Russian envoys exposing how the plan was crafted.

You can watch the full interview with Dmytro Kuleba on Euronews at 5:15 pm CET.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

At least one person person killed as Russia targets Ukraine with 50 missiles

German leader Friedrich Merz will visit China next week to deepen trade and cooperation

EU ministers to grill Commissions’s Šuica over attendance at Trump’s Board of Peace launch

EU steel exports to US drop 30% as talks stall over Trump tariffs relief

Did the EU charge the UK billions more than Canada to join its defence loan scheme?

Europe Today: Albanese joins us live amid calls from France for her resignation

French far right asks European Parliament to mark death of activist Quentin Deranque

US energy leader slams IEA’s net zero agenda, suggests Washington could walk out

France says Commission lacks ‘mandate’ to join Board of Peace meeting as Brussels remains defiant

Editors Picks

Macron asks Trump to lift sanctions on former EU tech chief Thierry Breton – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

At least one person person killed as Russia targets Ukraine with 50 missiles

February 22, 2026

Top EU trade lawmaker calls to delay key vote on EU-US deal – POLITICO

February 22, 2026

Kyiv condemns ‘blackmail’ by Hungary, Slovakia as energy standoff escalates

February 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 22nd, 2026 – Midday

February 22, 2026

Arab and Islamic states protest US Ambassador to Israel’s remarks on Israel land expansion

February 22, 2026

Wer gewinnt Rheinland-Pfalz? Alexander Schweitzer im Gespräch – POLITICO

February 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.