Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Quiet, comfortable and low emissions: How this ‘flying’ ferry is transforming Stockholm’s waterways

February 17, 2026

Nigel Farage unveils his top team – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Cheating row at Winter Olympics challenges curling’s culture of trust

February 17, 2026

‘Real economic consequences’: US warned over ESTA visa changes

February 17, 2026

Pedro Sánchez calls for probe into tech giants over child sex abuse material – POLITICO

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Austria charges man with terrorism over Taylor Swift concert attack plot

By staffFebruary 17, 20262 Mins Read
Austria charges man with terrorism over Taylor Swift concert attack plot
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
17/02/2026 – 11:23 GMT+1

Austrian prosecutors have filed terrorism-related charges against a 21-year-old defendant who they say planned to attack a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna in 2024.

Vienna public prosecutors said in a statement on Monday that the unnamed defendant had declared allegiance to the so-called Islamic State (IS) group, by sharing propaganda material and videos via various messaging services.

The defendant is accused of having “obtained instructions on the internet for the construction of a shrapnel bomb based on the explosive triacetone triperoxide” typically used by IS, and of having produced a small amount of the explosive.

Prosecutors also allege that the defendant had made “several attempts” to purchase weapons illegally outside the country and to bring them to Austria.

They plan to proceed with a criminal case against the unnamed suspect — who is currently in custody — in Wiener Neustadt, a town near the Austrian capital. If convicted, the defendant could face up to 20 years in jail, according to prosecutors.

The prosecutors’ statement did not name the suspect, but Austrian media identified him as Beran A and said he was arrested in August 2024. The suspect’s lawyer has previously disputed accusations made against his client, according to local media reports.

Austrian authorities cancelled three planned Taylor Swift shows in Vienna in August 2024 after they said they foiled an apparent plot to target the performances. Three people — including Beran A — were arrested that month. They were all teenagers at the time.

Last August, a 16-year-old Syrian national — identified as Mohammad A — was handed an 18-month suspended sentence by a court in Germany over the plot.

The United States provided intelligence that fed into the decision to cancel the concerts.

“We work closely with partners all over the world to monitor and disrupt threats,” then-White House national security spokesperson John Kirby said in August 2024.

“And so as part of that work, the United States did share information with Austrian partners to enable the disruption of a threat to Taylor Swift’s concerts there in Vienna.”

Additional sources • AP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Cheating row at Winter Olympics challenges curling’s culture of trust

Why do Iran and the US choose Switzerland as common ground for talks?

Greece seeks to obtain Nazi execution photos listed for sale on eBay

Hundreds of millions across Asia celebrate the Lunar New Year of the Fire Horse

French prosecutors widen Epstein probe with raid on Jack Lang’s former institute

Peace talks round three: Ukraine-US-Russia Geneva meeting’s key topics

Video. Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano spews lava hundreds of meters into the air as it erupts again

‘We want you to continue’: Rubio delivers Trump’s campaign message to Orbán in Budapest

Munich Security Conference 2026: Wind of Change 2.0

Editors Picks

Nigel Farage unveils his top team – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Cheating row at Winter Olympics challenges curling’s culture of trust

February 17, 2026

‘Real economic consequences’: US warned over ESTA visa changes

February 17, 2026

Pedro Sánchez calls for probe into tech giants over child sex abuse material – POLITICO

February 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Austria charges man with terrorism over Taylor Swift concert attack plot

February 17, 2026

Rev. Jesse Jackson, civil rights icon and two-time US presidential candidate, dies aged 84

February 17, 2026

Start planning for catastrophic global warming, top advisers tell EU – POLITICO

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.