Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Sydney Marathon mishap: Munich’s Allianz Arena appears on finisher medal

August 23, 2026

Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says ‘shut until US changes’

August 23, 2026

ECB head Christine Lagarde ‘ready to serve’ WEF, report says

August 23, 2026

Elections would ‘tear Ukraine apart’ – POLITICO

August 23, 2026

From Middle East to e-sports: Macron hosts Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Europe
Europe

At least two injured in explosion at fireworks factory in northern Malta, police say

By staffJune 1, 20262 Mins Read
At least two injured in explosion at fireworks factory in northern Malta, police say
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
01/06/2026 – 14:59 GMT+2

A powerful explosion at a fireworks factory in Malta on Monday injured two, sending a massive plume of smoke and debris into the air, police said.

The blast and subsequent explosions at the Ta’ Lourdes fireworks factory on the north side of the Mediterranean island shook buildings and shattered glass, according to videos posted by local newspapers the Times of Malta and Malta Today.

A first blast occurred at about 6:35 am and was followed by a second powerful one, according to witnesses who spoke to the papers.

Two men who suffered minor injuries had been working in nearby fields when the explosions happened, police said on social media.

No workers were at the factory at the time, they said.

Other small explosions went off even hours after the first ones, according to the Times of Malta.

Edward Mercieca, who lives nearby, told the paper that he was awoken by the first explosion.

“It felt like someone picked up a hammer the size of a truck and banged on the side of my house,” he was quoted by the Times of Malta as saying.

“The plume of smoke must have been a thousand feet (300 metres) high.”

Prime Minister Robert Abela, whose Labour party won an unprecedented fourth term on Saturday, wrote on social media that his “thoughts are with the people affected by the explosion that occurred this morning.”

Authorities had been immediately dispatched to assist, he said.

Additional sources • AFP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Sydney Marathon mishap: Munich’s Allianz Arena appears on finisher medal

ECB head Christine Lagarde ‘ready to serve’ WEF, report says

From Middle East to e-sports: Macron hosts Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

Extreme weather hits Europe as wildfires, floods and storms force thousands to evacuate

Six EU countries push for windfall tax on oil companies amid surging war profits

Metsola pays tribute to ex-EU Commissioner Kallas, after daughter Kaja Kallas announces father’s death

Poland: Man who ordered 300 pizzas in food-delivery pranks faces up to eight years in prison

Leo XIV in San Marino and Rimini: peace message and CL reunion

Storms and gales hit Poland: homes flooded, trees down and thousands of emergency callouts

Editors Picks

Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says ‘shut until US changes’

August 23, 2026

ECB head Christine Lagarde ‘ready to serve’ WEF, report says

August 23, 2026

Elections would ‘tear Ukraine apart’ – POLITICO

August 23, 2026

From Middle East to e-sports: Macron hosts Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman

August 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Chinese humanoid robot beats Bolt’s 100-metre world record time

August 23, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Midday

August 23, 2026

Extreme weather hits Europe as wildfires, floods and storms force thousands to evacuate

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.