Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

‘Niu Lai’: How is a ‘disaster-level’ Chinese animated film rivalling ‘The Odyssey’ at the box-office?

August 18, 2026

TEST – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

FIFA confirms COO Kevin Lamour ‘has left’ after criticising Infantino’s World Cup plans

August 18, 2026

Shakira and Warren Buffett’s son announce rebuilding of schools in Chocó

August 18, 2026

Risky jumps from France’s Marseille corniche rise in popularity

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

Spain’s opposition accuses Sánchez of electoral engineering after migrant legalization drive – POLITICO

By staffJuly 2, 20262 Mins Read
Spain’s opposition accuses Sánchez of electoral engineering after migrant legalization drive – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sánchez’s government called Feijóo’s comments “profoundly irresponsible” and said he had deliberately conflated two different policies. The beneficiaries of the legalization process that has just concluded cannot vote in Spanish regional or national elections because they are being granted resident permits, and voting rights are reserved for citizens.

After being criticized for his inconsistency, Feijóo on Thursday appeared to reverse course. “We agree that a grandchild, where there is a very clear line of descent, should be entitled to Spanish citizenship,” he said during a speech in Santander, but added that he still believed the government had failed to be transparent while doing so.

While Feijóo backtracked, the far-right Vox party renewed its criticism of the government’s migration policies, which parliamentary spokesperson José María Figaredo said amounted to “silent electoral fraud.” The party on Thursday called for a review of the existing legislation, as well as the suspension of mail-in voting rights for Spaniards living abroad, arguing the process was susceptible to manipulation and could result in a “delayed coup d’état.”

Nearly 1.2 million unauthorized migrants applied for legal status within the framework of Spain’s mass legalization drive, the Spanish Ministry of Migration announced on Thursday.

According to the Ministry, 609,737 of the 1,174,968 that applied before the June 30 deadline had already had their applications admitted for processing and received provisional residence and work permits. Nearly 11,000 applicants have already been granted full legal status under the terms of the extraordinary royal decree approved by the Spanish government last April.

Migration Minister Elma Saiz noted that 67 percent of the applications had been filed by migrants from Central and South America. Colombians accounted for the largest share of applicants, followed by migrants from Morocco, Venezuela and Peru. The scheme, she added, allows “hundreds of thousands of people who already reside in our country, but with fear and without rights, to face the future with enthusiasm and hope.”

The total number of applications filed far exceeds the government’s expectations. When the royal decree was approved, authorities anticipated that around 500,000 unauthorized migrants would seek legal status under the terms of the measure, which applies to people who had been living in Spain for at least five months and had no criminal record.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

TEST – POLITICO

The Lib Dem dilemma: Cozy up to Burnham or strike out alone?

Der Preis von Europas China-Abhängigkeit – mit Janka Oertel – POLITICO

Greece sabotages its own plans to reverse the brain drain of scientists – POLITICO

Virgin threatens Eurostar’s London-Brussels monopoly with Eurotunnel route approval – POLITICO

The island, the letters, the loos

Ukraine urges EU sanctions on Rosatom over allegations of nuclear safety violations – POLITICO

UK defense secretary’s phone number found online after Burnham hit by texting scam – POLITICO

Russia cancels major Red Square military jamboree amid drone attacks – POLITICO

Editors Picks

TEST – POLITICO

August 18, 2026

FIFA confirms COO Kevin Lamour ‘has left’ after criticising Infantino’s World Cup plans

August 18, 2026

Shakira and Warren Buffett’s son announce rebuilding of schools in Chocó

August 18, 2026

Risky jumps from France’s Marseille corniche rise in popularity

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Kanye ‘Ye’ West to perform in Russia – a first since invasion of Ukraine in 2022

August 18, 2026

Could the EU ban smoking? Commission to re-write rules for the next generation

August 18, 2026

Opening statements begin in long-awaited trial almost 30 years after hip-hop star Tupac Shakur was murdered

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.